Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarkJ58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Can a 12V 240AMP battery power a 12VDC motor?
    I know: Watts = Volts X Amps, but I need to know if I can use a 12V battery, 240Amps to power a water pump that's 12VDC/65Watts.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 02:29 PM
    The pump will draw 5-6 amps, so it should run a while on each charge. A deep cycle battery would last longer.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Is your 240 - "Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)" or "Amp Hours"?

Deep Cycle Batteries are preferred as labman states.
    The "Amp hour" rate of 240 loosely means 1 amp for 240 hours or 10 amps for 24 hours etc.

CCA is a measure of the maximum current it can deliver taking into account the battery losses like the internal resistance of the battery. CCA's of deep cycle battieries are usually less than the CCA of a car battery. Car batteries will be damaged if deep cycled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting power for a motor. [ 1 Answers ]

dear friends, i would like to know what will be the starting power for a motor. i have heard that it will take almost double the power while starting. is it true. is it different for single phase and three phase motor. what is the concept and how is it calculated. if i want to put solar...

Battery backup power for Lennox G61MPV furnace? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to be able to operate my 2004 Lennox G61MPV furnace using a 1200W, 12V DC to 110V AC power inverter. The blower works just fine, but as soon as it tries to ignite, the furnace shuts down. I suspect it may be a question of proper grounding--the furnace may be very sensitive to this. ...

Blower motor power [ 1 Answers ]

Hello , I have a magic chef furnace that was working and all of a sudden quit. I am getting power to the furnace, and motor is good because I removed motor and had it professionally tested. I was not getting power to blower motor but could hear the click from the relay, I tried both...

Charging power mower battery [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dead battery on my troy blt ride on mower. How can I charge battery. Can I use my car battery?

Battery cranking power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a large difference between a 30 amp cca at 30 degrees Fahrenheit and a 30 amp cca at 0 degrees Fahrenheit for initial starting power?

View more questions Search