Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airdronic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Green hot water
    My daughter lives in Philly. The hot water tap in the third floor bathtub discharges water with a distinctive green color. This is the only tap that runs green in the house. The lines are copper. What are some possible causes and solutions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 22, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Has any work been done on the water lines lately? Solder paste will leave a green residue in the pipes but will flush out in time. Do you flush your hot water heater out on a regular basis to remove minerals that have built up inside the tank? Let me show you how. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green Water and a Red Bump [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 55 gal fish tank and have had it for over a year I use to have a few dozen fish in there, lobsters, snails, frogs and a algae eater lately after a tragic moving episode my numbers have significantly dropped but now I am having a problem I never encountered before my water is all green and...

Green pool water [ 1 Answers ]

I bought an 18 x 48 easy set pool about 3 weeks ago. Our well water has iron in it and when I added the chlorine it turned a very ugly brown and then murky green color! I have been to the pool supply, had my water tested, shocked, added metal out, vacuumed every day, and change my filter twice a...

Mostly Green [ 1 Answers ]

Irish Telephones Recently, Germany conducted some scientific exploration involving their best scientists. Core drilling samples of earth were taken to a depth of 50m and during the core examinations, small pieces of copper were discovered. After running many arduous tests on these samples, the...

Green BM [ 2 Answers ]

What does it mean when your BM is green? It has been that way for the past 2 days.

Blue-green water staining [ 4 Answers ]

There is a marked Blue-green stain that develops in the shower stall, less so in the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I'm assuming it is a reaction triggered by the hot water. I'm also asking not just because it requires more cleaning, but my hairdresser says that it also creates a layer on my hair!...

View more questions Search