Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wounded74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Light between two switches
    I would like to know the wireing sequence to:

I ran wire from the breaker box to a switch, then from the switch with 3 wire to a light box, and from the light box with 3 wire back down to another switch on the opposite side of the room. How do I wire it at the light box so that either switch will turn on or off the light?
    peter030205 Posts: 56, Reputation: 5

Dec 21, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Whites to light fixture white, blacks to light fixture black, red wire will be the traveler between the two switches.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
    You would need four wires between the two lights to wire this properly, canot do it with just the 3 wire as you have it now.

The simplest remedy will be to feed one switch location, run 3 wire cable between the 2 switches, then leave the second switch with a two wire cable to each light.

I attached a wiring diagram that has a four way switch not applicable to you situation, just ignore the 4 way switch.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 08:38 PM
    TK's Diagram shows it, except light in the center.
    Connect power to common of first 3 way, the red and black will be travellers to light location, the white will be the light neutral.
    The red and black will go to other three way switch for travellers, and the white will be the "Switched Leg" to power the light (Tape this white wire back to light). Common of the other 3 way. To identify as a Hot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two three way switches on a light, only one works [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all. I've enjoyed reading this site over the last few weeks. I'm a new home owner with moderate experience in electrical work. In my kitchen, I have two light switches. One is near the carport door and works correctly. The other is near the front door and doesn't work. Both switches are...

Light switches are out of sink [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 light switches in my living room. Both switches should be down when light is off. They have gotten out of sink, so one is down and one is up when the light is off. Several years ago I read an article that explained how to correct this. Unfortunately, I lost the article and can not...

Dual outside light switches [ 6 Answers ]

I have no power to one of the switches no matter what position they are in and the lights do not work. I checked the main power box for loose connections, changed both switches, checked the bulbs, still no lights. The house is nine tears old, what happened?

One light, 3 switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am having differculity with my college course, I need to wire one Lamp with three swithces using single cables. Anyone got any wiring diagrams I could follow please?

Light switches [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a strange one. I am visiting my father, and he recently replaced an outlet in one bedroom and now the light switch no longer works. He didn't touch the switch at all. Here is the really odd part... now the same problem is in the adjoining bedroom. However, they are on different...

View more questions Search