Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Dec 21, 2007, 03:33 AM
    The PIG.Noah's Arc?
    I don't know if I put this under the right religion caterory if not so sorry... But I once heard that the PIG wasn't an animal in noahs arc... is it true?? They said that the pig is a mix of a rat a dog and osmething else not quite sure... What do you guys think or know?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Impossible. God made all the creatures on this earth all at once. Or so I'm told.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 05:07 AM
    If Noah made a list of what he took, it is long lost. The Bible does mention taking unclean animals.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 05:14 AM
    But if Noah took no unclean animals, how would that explain swine mentioned in the OT after the flood?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 05:20 AM
    All the necessary DNA was aboard the ark to make the pig later. Yes, God did create all the animals, and all the DNA and the flood, and the pig.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 05:47 AM
    If you would read Genesis, Chapter VI, verses 19 and 20: (from the 1611 Holy Bible, King James version) 19: And of every living thing of all flesh, of every sort shalt thou bring into the Arke, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female. 20: Of fowls after their kinde, and of cattel after their kinde: of every creeping thing of the earth after his kinde, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

I do not see where clean and unclean are separated or unclean left out. But it could have happened, I guess. Also, I have never heard a pig is a hybrid of a rat, a dog, and something else.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 06:22 AM
    If you mix a rat and a dog, you get a wombat, not a pig. Everyone knows that.

Dec 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Yea that's where the something else comes in

Dec 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
    I understand that it said that in the Bible but does that mean that the pig could not have been 1 in the arc but just an hybrid animal of some of the animals in arc?? I also heard something about the pig having 666 diseases..?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 08:54 PM
    No, someone is making up some silly pig stories and you are listening to them way to seroiusly. Pigs before the flood, pigs after the flood, they were with Noah.

The more silly a lie about things the easier people seem to believe it
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    The more silly a lie about things the easier people seem to beleive it
    You have no idea how much I agree with you. ;)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 05:09 PM
    The unclean food restrictions came years after Noah.
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Dec 23, 2007, 03:06 PM
    The story of Noah's arc is pre-history, not intended to be taken literally, and written from the perspective of peoples with a very limited world-view (a flood that 'covered the entire earth' could simply mean it was a large flood that covered all they knew. For example, those in hurrican katrina, had they no concept of a world outside of their own, could have easily concluded the entire world was flooding... but of course, it was not.)-

Take from the story what you will, but try not to get hung up on exactly what animals may have been there, what animals could have become other animals through cross-breeding, and why certain animals are here now that may not have been on the arc- Ancient people used stories to explain things they could not understand and to pass on ideas and beliefs about their god(s)- they were not intended for the literal interpretation that you're attempting.

That's not to say it's untrue- metaphorical stories and myths could certainly be 'divinely inspired' and meant to relay a message- but the Bible is not a history or science book, and should not be treated as such.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 04:17 PM
    It is a common view point for many that the flood was a regional flood, recent digs over the last 100 years have seen to show that this was the case, since proof of a very large regional flood is noted.

But we have to remember the Old Testement is the history and relationship of the Hewbrew nation to God and to them, this would have been their world. So even if it was regional, the facts that God did it, and that certain people and animals were spared does not change.

Dec 23, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Chuck
    the facts that God did it, and that certain people and animals were spared does not change.
    Errr... the 'fact' that god did it can be debated- not to be argumentative or start any kind of debate here- but to believers, it is fact- to others, it's just a natural occurence- people in that time believed that everything was the result of an action on the behalf of god(s) because they lacked understanding of science and actual physical cause-effect relationships.

I feel saying that 'god did it' is comparable to saying that god caused katrina to punish sinners there- I think most modern theological thought is beyond the 'i did wrong, so god punished me' stage of thought, and are more in line with 'i sin, there are consequences because I did something wrong and it's just a cause-effect relationship caused by my own actions, not the hand of god- god loves me, I'm sincerely sorry, I'm forgiven'

And while a flood may have occurred, an arc may have been built, and some animals brought on the arc, of course if it was only a regional flood, the question of 'were pigs on the arc? If not, where'd they come from if the world was wiped out?' still doesn't make sene- if the flood was regional, the impact was regional- and animals which existed in that region also existed outside of that region- some escaped, some were 'spared' (maybe), and others just migrated back to that area once the flood was over.

I'm not debating the validity of the story or whether it happened- just saying that the question pertaining to pigs being on the arc or not is really irrelevant since the biblical account of this flood is not meant to document history, but to share a message with believers.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 05:14 PM
    But we can agree that a pig is not some mix of?? What was that? A pig is still a pig. Perhaps we need a POW, a mix of a cow and pig
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by margog85
    The story of Noah's arc is pre-history, not intended to be taken literally, and written from the perspective of peoples with a very limited world-view (a flood that 'covered the entire earth' could simply mean it was a large flood that covered all they knew. for example, those in hurrican katrina, had they no concept of a world outside of their own, could have easily concluded the entire world was flooding... but of course, it was not.)-

Take from the story what you will, but try not to get hung up on exactly what animals may have been there, what animals could have become other animals through cross-breeding, and why certain animals are here now that may not have been on the arc- Ancient people used stories to explain things they could not understand and to pass on ideas and beliefs about their god(s)- they were not intended for the literal interpretation that you're attempting.

That's not to say it's untrue- metaphorical stories and myths could certainly be 'divinely inspired' and meant to relay a message- but the Bible is not a history or science book, and should not be treated as such.
    If the Bible is not a history or science book, and it was not intended as a literal interpretation, and was written by ancient peoples who did not understand what we do today, how could it be taken as Gospel today?

Dec 24, 2007, 08:18 AM
    I personally don't believe that it can.

But others do, and I respect that.

Dec 26, 2007, 06:33 PM
    So okey the pig was in the arc...

Dec 26, 2007, 06:36 PM
    You know I posted this question too see what other believers thought of or read otherwise... I don't know anything that reads in the bible so I didn't know I thought it was just weird... I wasn't thinking TOOO DEEEP INTO IT! I was wondering... you know sometimes people do that sometimes...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah's Ark [ 1 Answers ]

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah'sArk One : Don't miss the boat. Two : Remember that we are all in the same boat. Three: Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark. Four : Stay fit When you're 600 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big. ...

View more questions Search