Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Hello again:

I'm still missing something here.

If the only advantage to being a co-owner and NOT a co-borrower is that your credit won't be ruined when the house goes into foreclosure, then it's not really much of an advantage... Is it? You're going to LOSE your home and ALL your equity, but your credit will be SAVED??

Why would someone do that?

In addition, if the borrower stopped paying, in order to protect HIS interest, the NON borrower would have to make the payments himself, thereby saving the BORROWERS credit, and building up equity for HIM? Plus, he couldn't take the interest as a deduction, because he's not on the loan.

Again, why would someone do that?

excon
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastfun1
    Lisa, I ran your question through our underwriting guidelines to be sure. The non-borrower is not required to sign a security instrument. Somewhere in this lengthy tread, I lost track of vesting. Of course no new deed per previous vesting. :) This web site is addictive, huh?
    So if the non-borrower is not required to sign the security instrument, how can Countrywide foreclose in the event of a default by the borrower?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 22, 2007, 09:13 AM
    First, I'm not disputing what you have said, only its logic.

Countrywide requires the bank holding first lien position to grant subornation of their lien, putting Countrywide in a primary lien position.
    And why would the primary lender do that? They are giving up a primary position for what? I can't conceive of a reason the primary lienholder would cede their position.

In a foreclosure proceeding, the bank can only foreclose those on the note of the home. In essence, both parties will loss the home, but only those who have signed the mortgage obligating them make timely payments to the lender will have there credit effected.
    Now why would both parties lose the home? The lender can only foreclose on what was pledged as security. So if someone else owns half the home, they can only foreclose on the half pledged as security for the mortgage. Depending on the way ownership is held the lender may not be able to force a sale and who is going to buy half a home occupied by someone else?

Furthemore, mortgages are not like auto loans; once the home is foreclosed, that is the end of your relationship with the lender. The lender will not make any attempt collect any past due payments or unpaid balance of the principal.
    This is news to me. Is this a Countrywide rule or by statute or what? As I understand a mortgage, it's a promissory note secured by real property. The borrower is promising to pay the borrowed amount. If the property is redeemed for less than that amount, the borrower still owes it.
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again:

If the only advantage to being a co-owner and NOT a co-borrower is that your credit won't be ruined when the house goes into foreclosure, then it's not really much of an advantage...... Is it??

You're going to LOSE your home and ALL your equity, but your credit will be SAVED?????

In addition, if the borrower stopped paying, in order to protect HIS interest, the NON borrower would have to make the payments himself, thereby saving the BORROWERS credit, and building up equity for HIM? Plus, he couldn't take the interest as a deduction, because he's not on the loan.

excon
    I still don't understand how the non-borrower could lose their home if they never signed the security instrument.
    Fastfun1 Posts: 80, Reputation: 11

Dec 22, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Hello again:

If the only advantage to being a co-owner and NOT a co-borrower is that your credit won't be ruined when the house goes into foreclosure, then it's not really much of an advantage...... Is it?? You're going to LOSE your home and ALL your equity, but your credit will be SAVED?????

excon
    Excon, I'm with you all the way. As my wife and I have a great relationship, I would do it if circumstances called for it. But if she was divorcing me, I'll go with GEM and FR and have it handled in court. I like you, exon. You cut right to heart of the matter, no BS. :cool:
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Hello again:

Maybe there aren't answers to any of this, and the sub-prime meltdown is the result. Certainly, logical questions such as those we pose, WEREN'T asked or answered when they mattered.

excon
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Scott, in a refi situation, if there are already 2 loans and the borrower is refinancing the first loan, it is standard practice for the second mortgage holder to subordinate to the new lender. Usually the second mortgage holder is a HELOC or similar and they went into the original loan knowing that they would be secondary. If they refuse to subordinate then the homeowner will have to pay them off as a condition of the refi of the first loan. Once they get paid off they lose the borrower's business and it's awfully hard to get them to sign a brand new HELOC. So it's in their best interest to keep their second position rather than having no position at all.

Of course when the borrower requests a subordination the second mortgage holder reviews the details of the proposed new loan. If the amount is that much higher then the second mortgage holder may not agree to subordinate, since their lending guidelines may have been exceeded.

Dec 22, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Oddly, enough Countrywide is one of the sub prime lenders who haven't failed as a result of the meltdown. How, they can make such imprudent loans is beyond me.

A lot of the meltdown is due to borrowers who over bought more than mistakes by the lenders. The real estate price drops caught a lot of people by surprise.

Dec 22, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    Scott, in a refi situation, if there are already 2 loans and the borrower is refinancing the first loan, it is standard practice for the second mortgage holder to subordinate to the new lender.
    OK, that I understand. I wasn't looking at it from that angle. I was looking at it from a home equity loan asking the primary loan to subordiante. But if they are refinacing, then the existing secondary becomes primary, so the refinancing lender would want to maintain the primary.

Dec 22, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Oddly, enough Countrywide is one of the sub prime lenders who haven't failed as a result of the meltdown. How, they can make such imprudent loans is beyond me.

A lot of the meltdown is due to borrowers who over bought more than mistakes by the lenders. The real estate price drops caught a lot of people by surprise.
    Scott, I unfortunately have to disagree. At the inception of the infamous meltdown our stock price dropped 70% and have maintained rather stagnant since. We suffered a huge reduction in force. We lost an entire division known as Specialty Lending. Specialty Lending played a supporting role to our prime offices. Whenever a prime office could not help a borrower, they would refer them to Specialty Lending to explore sub-prime options. For clarification, Specialty Lending was, until not too recently, known as the Consumer Markets Division Dedicated Full Spectrum Lending. A merge between Consumer Markets and Consumer Markets Dedicated Full Spectrum resulted in the development of the Specialty Lending Division. That division... no longer exist. Furthermore, Full Spectrums retail branches have been all but dissolved, from roughly three per state to only a handful spread out the West coast and they have very few products to offer. Countrywide took a beating! Thousands of good people were put out on the street with measly separation packages.
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Hello again:

Maybe there aren't answers to any of this, and the sub-prime meltdown is the result. Certainly, logical questions such as those we pose, WEREN'T asked or answered when they mattered.

excon
    The sub-prime meltdown is a result of lenders vastly reducing their lending criteria. They did so because the market was booming and the value of the property was increasing quickly enough that, within a year or two the value of the property would be high enough to make the loan fall within a more strict lending requirement.

Then the real estate bubble went boom. The properties were no longer increasing in value at the same rate. After a year or two, when the introductory interest rates expired and the monthly payments went up, the borrower could no longer afford the payment and the property hadn't increased in value enough for it to be sold or refinanced for enough to cover the mortgages.

I handled a sale 2 years ago. The buyers were a young couple just starting. They bought my clients' house with an 80/20 loan. That meant a first mortgage for 80% and a second mortgage for 20%. They were financing 100% of the purchase price. I was astounded that a lender would give them these terms. But the introductory interest rates were low enough that they could afford the monthly payments at that time. I'm pretty sure that they got into big financial trouble when those intro rates expired.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Hello again, Scott:

I also disagree to an extent. I think the lenders are MUCH more culpable than the borrowers.

Borrowers are always going to BS on their applications and buy too much house. But, it's up to the underwriters to ferret them out. Or, it used to be.

I worked as a loan officer when people had to prove they worked and could afford the loan. Yes, there were no income verification loans. But there weren't any NO income verification and NO work verification loans then.

There are now. And, those loans were prevalent until just recently. I know a guy who doesn't work and has no money, who recently got 100% financed for a half a million dollar house.

Both lenders and buyers were relying on the increase in housing prices to bale them out. The lenders should have instead been relying on their borrowers ability to pay them back. They didn't.

excon

Dec 22, 2007, 05:44 PM
    What are you disagreeing with? Did I say the CW wasn't hurt? All I said was they haven't failed. Since you still have a job that is an accurate statement.

Dec 22, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Clearly lenders took huge risks by relaxing their standards. They probably felt it was prudent at the time, figuring a bust like the one that occurred wouldn't happen.

But look at people like the ones Lisa's client sold to. They probably figured they could afford the intro payments, but didn't plan ahead for when the interest rates would go up.
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 06:02 PM
    But look at people like the ones Lisa's client sold to. They probably figured they could afford the intro payments, but didn't plan ahead for when the interest rates would go up.
    I can almost hear their mortgage broker telling them "Don't worry. In a year you can refinance."

Dec 22, 2007, 07:30 PM
    What are you disagreeing with? Did I say the CW wasn't hurt? All I said was they haven't failed. Since you still have a job that is an accurate statement.
    Sure, albeit the your definition of failure is "completely shutdown, doors closed, no longer in business". :(

Dec 22, 2007, 08:22 PM
    That's what business failure means; shutdown.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding my name to car title and loan [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is military and is leaving for Afghanistan soon. I have special power of attorney and regular power of attorney. How do I add my name to the car? We live in Tennessee and the car is from NY with everything through NY.

Loan not in my name-Want my name on the deed/title [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my boyfriend and I are purchasing a home. He has filled out all of the loan paperwork and my name is not on any of it so he could get a better deal? He has an FHDA loan and when I called the lawyer earlier this week (I did not tell her what type of loan, because we did not know at that time)...

Co signed car loan and title [ 12 Answers ]

I cosigned on an auto loan with our daughter. The car title and loan are in both of our names. She is going to move out and has been unreliable in making payments. I have had to bail her out more than once. I want her to either get the loan and title in her name alone or turn in her car. She...

View more questions Search