Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielelbinbin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 10:31 PM
    Insulating walls
    Is it necessary to insulate a soffit that houses an A/C duct? The A/C duct has insulation wrapped around it, however I built a metal frame around it and want to cover the frame with sheetrock. Do I need to insulate this soffit or is the insulation aroung the A/C duct enough?

I have a new bathroom that I am building and one wall of the bathroom is adjacent to a closet. Is there special insulation that I should use to prevent moisture from the bathroom to the closet wall, or will the sheetrock be enough?

Lastly, what insulation is recommended for bathroom walls and around the tub area?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Question 1, If the AC duct is in a soffit area(that is the overhanging area at the roof line=soffit)no additional insulation would be needed.

Question 2 and 3,while typical drywall is for the rest of the house, greenboard(or moisture resistant drywall) is for higher moisture areas, like kitchens and baths,this will allow you to think easier verses trying to think about moisture getting to your insulation,normal insulation can be used around the entire bathroom(special circumstances would be pipes exposed to outside walls for example,where pipes would need special attention.)

Hope this helps,

KBC
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
    I hope you are leaving room in the soffit for good venilation. Otherwise KBC's answer sounds good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulating basement walls [ 2 Answers ]

As per a previous thread I am in process of insulating my basement. I have taken the advice of TerryB with his great link to insulating. I have run into only a little problem I hope. I installed moisture barrier against the cement foundation, wood studded my walls and installed R-12. This was on...

Insulating bathroom walls in cinderblock basement [ 7 Answers ]

I have a cinderblock basement in Texas built on a slab foundation. How do I insulate and waterproof a bathroom in this area as two of the walls of the bathroom will be on the cinderblock walls. This is new construction. Cc russell

Insulating AC condensate pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Hello there, Well I am handling a rather big project which includes AC condensate drain pipes from several units being collected into one pipe and then out to the drain outside. I know that, usually, it is better better to insulate AC condensate pipes. The contractor will insulate the...

Insulating my garage [ 1 Answers ]

Does the gap at the bottom of the garage between the sheet rock and floor could be sealed with a foam sealer or would that create moisture to build up in my wall. I'm planning on sealing the gap and laying base boards at the bottom of the wall to create that finished look.

Insulating Pipes? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I recently moved to the Foothills at about 3000' elevation. We get a "dusting" of snow but not a lot, but the temps are MUCH colder here, than in the Valley. Our house is a small 825 SQ FT. All the exposed water pipes are insulated with foam wrap. All the copper pipe underneath the...

View more questions Search