Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janet mansfield Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2007, 05:04 PM
    I think my 17 year old cat had a stroke.
    My 17 year old diabetic cat lost control of her legs a few days ago. I took her to the vet and the vet suggested I put her down. He said he thought she may have had a stroke. Her insulin levels were really low which he said could cause a stroke. He said I could start insulin shots twice a day and that would help her diabetes, but she may never gain control of her legs again. I chose to put her down. I am having a really hard time with it. I don't know if I did the right thing. Has anyone had to do anything similar? Janet Manfield
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 06:00 PM
    (Question moved from Introductions to the appropriate topic area.)
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Dec 20, 2007, 07:43 PM
    It was like 84 years old in cat years, diabetic, had a stroke and may have never regained the use of it's legs... of course you did the right thing. I've had to put a few animals down and yes, I always wondered if I did the right thing or could have done more. I think it's normal that you feel as you do. I'm really sorry about your cat. I'm sure it feels like you've lost a family member.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 10:45 AM
    To have diabetic cat, that lived to be 17 tells us what a great job you did with her. What is even greater is that you looked beyond your needs and wants when it was time to let her go.
    I have never had to have a cat put down yet and I dread the day. But I had to put a young dog down way before it's time should have been up,so I know the pain of losing an animal that you love. It took me almost a year for me to be able to look at his pictures and toys with out crying. But you will get there and you will be able to relish the joy that she brought into your life. There will be little unexpected moments when her memory will appear in your life and it will eventually bring a smile to your face and a warm feeling to your heart.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 10:54 AM
    I've had to put an old, beloved cat down and now have two cats that are up in age, 13 and 15, so I know the day is coming... I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. Just remember that your cat had a good life with you.

Dec 21, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    To have diabetic cat, that lived to be 17 tells us what a great job you did with her. What is even greater is that you looked beyond your needs and wants when it was time to let her go.
    I have never had to have a cat put down yet and I dread the day. But I had to put a young dog down way before it's time should have been up,so I know the pain of loosing an animal that you love. It took me almost a year for me to be able to look at his pictures and toys with out crying. But you will get there and you will be able to relish the joy that she brought into your life. There will be little unexpected moments when her memory will appear in your life and it will eventually bring a smile to your face and a warm feeling to your heart.
    Thank you I appreciate your warm words. I know it was best for Roxanne but it is very difficult for me. Happy Holidays.

Dec 21, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I've had to put an old, beloved cat down and now have two cats that are up in age, 13 and 15, so I know the day is coming.... I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. Just remember that your cat had a good life with you.

Thank you so much.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Dec 21, 2007, 05:01 PM
    I'm so sorry, honey. Yes, you did the right thing. It's what kitty would have wanted, I'm sure. Some people let the animals live on and suffer because they can't bear to lose them, and that is selfish. I'm so glad you made the right decision! It's normal to feel guilty. My doggie had a stroke 2 years ago, and I had to put her down. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I know that at least she didn't suffer anymore! Roxanne had a good long life with someone who obviously loved her very much. The only thing I can tell you is that it gets easier as time goes by. The hurt never goes away, but it gets easier to bear. I'm sure kitty is looking down on your from heaven and is glad you did the right thing. (because I think animals go to heaven too, even though I'm sure some will say that's silly) I hope you feel better soon, honey! Happy Holidays to you too.

Dec 21, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peggyhill
    I'm so sorry, honey. Yes, you did the right thing. It's what kitty would have wanted, I'm sure. Some people let the animals live on and suffer because they can't bear to lose them, and that is selfish. I'm so glad you made the right decision! It's normal to feel guilty. My doggie had a stroke 2 years ago, and I had to put her down. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I know that at least she didn't suffer anymore! Roxanne had a good long life with someone who obviously loved her very much. The only thing I can tell you is that it gets easier as time goes by. The hurt never goes away, but it gets easier to bear. I'm sure kitty is looking down on your from heaven and is glad you did the right thing. (because I think animals go to heaven too, even though I'm sure some will say that's silly) I hope you feel better soon, honey! Happy Holidays to you too.

I most definitely believe animals go to heaven. I find relief in knowing she is in a good place. My head and my heart are battling it out to what was the right thing to do. Thank you
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Every time I read "The Rainbow Bridge," tears come to my eyes.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

One of my clients once said, "If there are no cats in heaven, I refuse to go there."

Dec 21, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Every time I read "The Rainbow Bridge," tears come to my eyes.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

One of my clients once said, "If there are no cats in heaven, I refuse to go there."

Thank you so much for that beautiful poem. Some day Roxanne and I will be together again.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 07:59 PM
    I know what you are going through and love and appreciate the answers that have been given. Many years ago I had to put a cat down. I watched the procedure. I have never bawled so much in my life!

A few years ago, I had to make a decision again to put a cat down. I had put her at the vets to see if she was going to get any better. She was there a number of days. I was about six hours away from home because of what I did for a living. It came to a weekend. I was going to travel back home in order to make the decision to put her down and then travel right back to the same place where I had been working.

What happened, was that I got a phone call before I was going to leave to return home. It was a person at the vet's office. They had also called a friend of mine. I called my friend, who informed me that my cat had died. It was almost like she saved me the pain having to travel back home and having to decide to put her down or not.

What I have found is helpful, is to compose a little memory document or book, of what you remember about your pet, while those memories are still fresh in your mind.
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Comments on this post bushg agrees: Keeping a little journal is a good idea... I never thought of that. But I do have a collage of pictures in a frame and some of his favorite toys. The toys I am starting to give away on as need basis. I know he loved other dogs and would not care.
    A collage of pictures would also be good to have!
    Sarah_the_vet_tech Posts: 38, Reputation: 11

Dec 25, 2007, 12:10 AM
    I just wanted to say I believe you did the right thing. A cat with diabetes is so hard to regulate with insulin shots. Dogs seem to be easier. I'm glad your vet was honest with you and let you know the chances of her regaining her rear limbs back. I think putting an animal to sleep when it is suffering is an act of love and kindness. Most people battle with it cause they know it will hurt them more than it will the animal. I see animals being put to sleep everyday when I'm at work. If I ever have to die I hope its as peaceful as when an animal is put down. I will never let one of mine suffer just for my selfish needs. It upsets me every time we put one down. But I'm not as upset for the pet as I am for the owner. So don't you second guess yourself. It was right otherwise you would have never done it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy 12 year old cat had a stroke [ 2 Answers ]

My 12 year old female cat had a stoke yesterday around 4 in the afternoon. I immediately took her to the vet and he kept her overnight and put her on IV and a cortizone shot. She could not stand and was totally limp. As of 11:00 this morning, she is still not standing. He does not think that...

Did my cat have a stroke? [ 4 Answers ]

I have read other peoples questions about if their cat had a stoke or not, but my cat didnt do the exact same thing as others. My cat is about fourteen or fiveteen years old. I woke this morning to him on his back in my bed with all four of his legs twitching, pretty much he was flopping around....

15 year old cat and stroke [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old cat that apparently just had a stroke. She is at the vet now and will be coming home soon. Can anyone give me any advice to help? She is a treasure to me as I have had her since she was 6 weeks old.

6.0 power stroke [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having problem with 2005 ford power stroke. It is hard to start in the morning. But after about 30 min of sputtering and knoking it will start to smooth out and run. I have a Bully dog on it. Once it wants to run I can break the tires and it run like hell. But the next day same old start think....

Stroke or MS or? [ 6 Answers ]

At age 62,last year,I was a healthy person.Neither hospitalized nor taking any medicine. On account slight numbness over finger tips(left hand),slight facial weakness,after MIR, scars on T1and T2 in brain and total cholesterol 220( LDL cholesterol 145) detected.no any diabetes,no high blood...

View more questions Search