Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpseely Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 02:33 PM
    2003 Honda Civic has high idle 3000 RPM
    My 2003 Honda Civic LX with 47,000 miles has worked perfectly until now. Since yesterday, every time I start it, the engine revs up to 3,000 rpm in neutral or park and 2,000 rpm if in drive. I can control the car with the brake, but it runs away with me if I stop braking. So I can't drive it safely. I live on an island a $150 ferry ride and 15 miles from a dealer or import mechanic. I'm hoping there is something I can check myself so I can safely get it onto the ferry and to the dealer.

Will it help if I disconnect and reconnect the positive terminal to the battery? Or remove a fuse? Is there a control module I can access and replace?

Help!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 02:49 PM
    If the idle rpm is too high when warm:

. Check Idle Air Control Valve.
    . Check Fast Idle Thermo Valve.
    . Check hoses and connections.
    . Check Throttle Position Sensor--disconnect connector to the TPS; reset ECM, by pulling the Backup Fuse in the U/H Fuse Box or disconnecting the negative. Battery terminal for 10 seconds; and, then, reconnecting the TPS connector.
    . Check idle adjusting screw. This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219948
    dallas2446 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 08:04 PM
    My rpm is to high when I driver 65mph, it is at 3500
    What causes this. My idle is fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 honda civic high idle [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1991 civic and I can't get it smogged because the idle won't go below 2000 rpm until it warms up then it surges. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Idle on 1995 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, As the weather turns cold, my car will sometimes idle very sporadically - as if someone is pushing on the gas for 1 second, letting off, and then pushing again. Any thoughts?

95 Honda Civic surging idle [ 1 Answers ]

My 95 Honda Civic surging while idling. It all began when during a rain storm when I drove through a long puddle of water on the road. At the end of the puddle my car switched of, but after a couple of cranks it finally came to life again and drove normally. The next day, when I was driving home...

91 Honda Civic high idle [ 5 Answers ]

91 Honda Civic, 1.5l, remains at high idle, 1000-1500 until manually turning off by depressing pedal. Once engine rev'ed over about 1500 does it again. Will not return to low idle on it's own. Does not surge like vac hose off. No engine code. If I disconnect the temp sensor at bottom of radiator...

91 Honda Civic surging at idle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 Honda Civic DX, the engine surges around 500rpm (guessing) at an idle, seems to get worse in hot weather. Car runs great other than that but after reading other post I'm sure I will be replacing my master relay soon! I have had times when the car would not start, I just cycle the key...

View more questions Search