Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slroses Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 02:23 PM
    How do I prevent having a lien put on my bank acct
    I have some substantial credit card debt.
    I don't want them to be able to take what money I have in the bank.
    My name is the only name on the bank account.
    Could you tell me if I add another peson's name to my bank account that has
    Nothing to do with the debt incurred if they could still put a lien (or maybe it's not
    Called that) on my money in the bank??
    I am wondering if I should just take what money I have out completely or if I have
    Someone else's name on it could they not take it??
    Any help you could give me would be appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Well perhaps you should take that money and pay a bill you owe.

If you have ability to pay, and are not paying your bills, that is just wrong.

But there is no way to stop a judgement if you really owe the money, and once they have a judgement they can attach your money in most states in the US. Adding someone's name will not stop the attachment, they will still freeze the monay but just give the other person a chance to prove what part of that money is thiers.
    If you just take it out of the bank, you may have to answer to the judge, esp if it is a large amount ( in the 1000's) what you did with the money, so as not to be doing fraud by hdiing the money.

And if they can prove it is your money under someone else's name, they can still come after it. ( and perhaps try criminal charges for fruad against both of you at that point)
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Dec 20, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Fr_Chuck is right why not take the funds out and pay some of what you owe. If a judgement has already been granted then it is only a matter of time before they attach your accounts and in some states your wages and remember this once a judgement is entered it can renewed for ten years or longer
    slroses Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    well perhaps you should take that money and pay a bill you owe.

If you have ability to pay, and are not paying your bills, that is just wrong.

But there is no way to stop a judgement if you really owe the money, and once they have a judgement they can attach your money in most states in the US. Adding someones name will not stop the attachment, they will still freeze the monay but just give the other person a chance to prove what part of that money is thiers.
    If you just take it out of the bank, you may have to answer to the judge, esp if it is a large amount ( in the 1000's) what you did with the money, so as not to be doing fraud by hdiing the money.

And if they can prove it is your money under someone elses name, they can still come after it. ( and perhaps try criminal charges for fruad agaisnt both of you at that point)
    In answer to both of you... first I'd like to say thanks for the response. The money we are talking about is about $100... not anything substantial. My husband just left to return to his drug addiction after being clean for several years, took our money and the car. I have had to leave my job and my family has me in hiding as my husband becomes very abusive when he uses. Just to let you know it isn't about... taking the money to pay the bills. But thanks for you interest!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 07:04 PM
    You may need to consider filing for bankruptcy. That will prevent your creditors from subjugating against you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen bank acct [ 5 Answers ]

My bank acct was frozen by a debt collector but I don't have the money to pay it off now, the debt collector told me I could make a payment arrangement with them but my unemployment check is not enough for me to start paying off my debt and he told me there's interest building on the debt everyday...

Bank acct frozen [ 1 Answers ]

Just happened to me. I do online banking,found a negative available balance, my check is direct deposit. Had a judgement against me, I wrote letter committing to $50 a month, they accepted several checks, checked my balance the other day, after talking to my credit union-- my account is frozen for...

How do I get judement on his bank acct [ 1 Answers ]

I wrote about taking the guy back to court and you said frank that I could garnish his wages or bank acct but he do not week and owes a trailer park and he add his friend on the trailer park but I know he got a bank acct how do I go about getting papers served on his acct?

IRA Bank Acct. [ 1 Answers ]

Can they freez an IRA acct at a Bank?

View more questions Search