Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pvrsewing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2005, 01:51 PM
    Time frame for oppostion
    What is the time frame for filing an opposition to a vacate judgement of divorce settlement? You say, "Get a lawyer", but my daughter's attorney is obviously working for her ex instead of her. The bankruptcy attorney that represents her told her that her family attorney was supposed to have filed an opposition for her but he didn't do it. The bankruptcy is not her's but her ex's. The vacate judgement was filed on 12/1/05. Is it now too late to file one? Her attorney won't talk to her until she goes to court on 1/16/06. Her ex racked up more than $100,000 in less than 10 months. And committed all kinds of fraud in the filing but they don't want him, they only want my daughter's property and say they will take it. This is in southern Ca.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2005, 02:46 PM
    Attorney
    Attorney, attorney, attorney, and if I did not mention it attorney.

If you believe your current attorney is not doing the best that can be done, change attorneys.

Of course during the actual divorce is where all the information should have been presented, and while I understand often one side or at times both sides never agree that property settlements are fair.

If the propery was given to the husband in the divorce settlement, in all legal terms it is now his and failure to give the property in the time frame the court set up would be contemt of the order.

I would advice wasting any more time and either ask your currrent attorney why it is not done, or merely hire an new attorney to review the divorse and see if anything can be done at this point

Also it is unclear what you are talking about as for as the bankruptcy, you are calling it "her" attorney" then you are saying she is not bankrupt but her ex is, then why does she have a bankruptcy attorney.

Also what attorney will not talk to her till she goes to court??

I would say that either she lost badly in the divorce and she does not like it and now his creditors want the property he was awarded in the divorce

But in any case if you are unhappy with the outcome you can hire another attorney to review all of the proceedings.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2005, 06:37 AM
    New Lawyer
    Hi,
    I wholeheartedly agree with Fr Chuck. Tried to give "approval", but got "spread it around....." some more!
    Please get another lawyer, because it is very, very obvious that this one is not looking out for your best interest. A new lawyer can file a quick motion to continue later.
    I do wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frame Structure QUESTION [ 2 Answers ]

There has a few type of FRAME STRUCTURE. There are PLANE FRAMES, SPACE FRAMES & SKELETON FRAMES. Explain and sketch the shape for three type construction method of the FRAME.

Insulation of an A-frame roof [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We live in a 4 story A-frame with a huge roof surface area. The rafters of the roof are only 8". Seems to me that there is a lot of heat escaping thru the roof. The rooms can get cold. I'm toying with the idea of adding false walls and ceiling to the rooms. I would leave the...

Frame in for Bath Drain [ 2 Answers ]

What is the recommended size of box I should use to "Frame In" the bathtub drain for a basement rough install? I was thinking of using a treated 1" x 10" to make a 14" x 14" box. Will the 9 3/4" be too deep? I was also told to place a little concrete in the bottom of the box to prevent any water...

View more questions Search