Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrrent312 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Rewiring phone jacks
    I read through other similar topics and couldn't find an answer.

Just had the phone company out as my line was dead. Problem with wiring in the house. The pair of wires (white w/ blue mark, blue w/ white mark) that were hooked up to line one In the NIC box (red/green connectors) supposedly had a short.

The technician got around the problem by replacing this set of wires with the second pair (white w/ green mark and green w/ white mark), connecting these to the red/green connectors on line one in the NIC box. This got a jack in one room working. My DSL was not affected before or after.

None of the other jacks in the house work. Based on reading the other entries, I thought the solution would be as easy as switching the Red/Black and Yellow/Green connections in the jack but that didn't work. All the jacks in the house are wired with Red/Black, Yellow/Green.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 01:27 PM
    I am not sure what you have done. Where does your DSL connect? How many wires do you have coming into the house from the NIC? If you were just using the red green pair, swapping the them for the yellow black pair should work as long as you do it at both ends.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 08:16 AM
    If the Green pair is now used, you need to open all jacks and verify:
    White/Green to Green, and Green/White to Red, Yellow and Black on Jack will not be used or connected unless you have a second line.
    You didn't do anything wrong, Phone guy did not finish correcting the problem. Or explain.
    They charge for inside wiring, hopefully this will help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect Dead Phone Jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently moved into a house, and only 2 of the 6 phone jacks work. I only have one line... I've already compared the "working" jacks to the non-working jacks, and they seem to have a similar configuration. The outside wires are all going to line one. Any ideas how to get these phone jacks...

Rewiring an old phone [ 1 Answers ]

How do wire an old dial-up phone so I can plug it into a regular jack?

Wiring phone jacks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.

Rewiring a phone jack [ 2 Answers ]

I wired our phone lines 10 years ago so that I could have 2 phone lines. Now I am having a third line added. How do I rewire an existing phone line for the third line. I just want to replace an existing fax/computer line with a dedicated computer line. I only need to do the one outlet next to...

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search