Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejhkull Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Loss of hours at work
    I am currently working a hospitality job while going through college. I applied for and have received full time hours (30+) Recently a new person has been doing the schedule. This person has made it known they don't like me personally because of my lifestyle. I have never called off work and am always on time, and always do my job. Since this person has been doing the schedule, my hours have dropped. Next week is a very busy week, and was hoping to work. Not just am I barely working, but my hours are shorter then they have ever been, on the busiest week of the year. I realize this is a remedial job, but I'm almost done with school and don't want to start another one. Is there anything I can do?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Lifestyle?
    If you really believe that is the reason for your cut in hours, a confrontation, although it might mean your job seems like the only way to resolve the issue. I think I would go in and ask why your hours have been cut. If they are up front about it, you then have some options, file a complaint with the wage hour board, their supervisor, or quit.
    shyann666 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 12:56 PM
    I would go to the labor board in the state and tell them what is going on. There are laws about discrimination. You might want to bring that up to the other persons supervisor first though and tell their supervisor what is going on with the schedueling. See if it can be resolved that way first then let them know that you are aware of laws on discrimination and also let them know that if you are supposed to receive full time hours and are not that there are laws about that also.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 12:59 PM
    When you have asked your supervisor what did they say.

Are others in same job getting less hours, It is common for many companies to hire several part time people so they don't have to pay benefits

And what type of lifestyle, you are not a bass fisherman are you, they are the worst.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Your first recourse is to talk to this person's supervisor, since that have already made known their bias. If you get no satisfaction there, you can try going up the ladder. At this point there is no way you should go outside the company.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
    No, you talk to your supervisor first, unless they are the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6 weeks pregnant should I cut down on hours of work? [ 6 Answers ]

I found out I was 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant, this is my second time becoming pregnant,the first one ended in a m/c in June. I am working 40 hours plus time spend in court, should I cut it down by at least 8 hours a week in order to give the baby and I a rest?

Hours [ 1 Answers ]

How many days a week do you work and how many hours are you typically working :eek:

Fourteen Hours [ 1 Answers ]

In 14 hours (1951) Agnes Moorehead tries to talk would be suicide Richard Basehart off a ledge by suggesting a vacation to what town?

Barking for 5 hours [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 1 and half year old rat terrier/wolf mix. I know what you're thinking. How in the?? The people we got the dog from certainly didn't plan on this litter of puppies! Anyway, she's bigger than a rat terrier but nowhere close to wolf size. She has really short fur so she gets cold easily. So...

View more questions Search