Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Phone/fax machine
    I have a hp 1040 fax machine/phone. It is about a year old. I'm sure it is not torn up as it copies, I can receive calls on it. However I can not receives faxes or send them out nor can I call out on it. The only number on the key pad that works is 9. I know I must have hit a setting that changed it abilities to call out and receive faxes... or my desk cat did. Hubby has the book in storage or has thrown it away and I have tried to fix this problem on my on... right now I am using a old... slow fax machine until I figure out or am told what is wrong with this one please help... if anyone can figure out my problem.:confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Try unplugging a couple of minutes. When you call your fax from another number, do you hear the fax tone. Since you receive calls, you probably hear dial tone when you lift receiver.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Here is your Manual:
    HP 1040 Fax: Manuals 
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I have a dial tone and it rings with an incoming call, I can answer and talk on it. But it does not recognize when a fax is coming versus a phone call.
    I have 2 phone lines I took one fax machine and tried to send a fax to the hp machine... it will not pick up or if I hit start it will not activate a fax manuelly.
    I did find my hp booklet and it does not cover theis problem. My company use a tech... so I guess I will contact them Monday. If your online version does not help me. Thanks for looking that up and trying to help.
    Why do you think only the 9 and # sign on the key pad only works... this has me so puzzled... It has not been dropped nor anything spilled on it. I have tried to change the settings to different receiving modes but nothing works... It is almost like It is set to call out on an outside line by dialing 9 but I don't have that type of phone service in my home... unless the company has screwed up my phone lines... which has been done often... not in this manner though.
    I can receive faxes just not on this hp machine though. FRUSTRATING
    Edit no I do not hear a fax tone... I am going to unplug and plug back in.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:46 AM
    You are not going to believe this, I just followeed your advice about unplugging it and waiting and plugging it back in. Guess what it works... I called out on it and then I called it and it switched over to fax mode I could hear the fax tone... I am working so as soon as I receive a job... I will know for sure if it will receive, which I am sure it will. Wow, It is hard to imagine that such a little action could make it work... Thank you so much. *edit* I just received 3 faxes, It works perfectly!! yipee wow, you just saved me a trip to the repairman and having to bring another one from the office to my house and returning to get the other one. Thank you again.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Good Deal, Surprising the amount of things that get confused and repaired like this. Have a Merry Christmas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Panasonic KX-TG2730 phone--how do I use the answer machine? [ 1 Answers ]

I have the Panasonic KX-TG2730 phone which works fine but I don't know how to activate the answer machine--I now has the standard voicemail that the phone came with. I want to put in my own voicemail--but I can't figure out how to do it? Can you help?

Changing disconnected phone line to same number as phone line that is active [ 3 Answers ]

If you can help I will vote for you... for any office... state or government! We have two separate phone lines. One for one room and one for another. One of the lines was cut off at our request by the phone company. We want to make the disconnected line active again and work on the same number...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

How to record phone conversations from phone to PC? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there an inexpensive way to record phone conversations directly to PC using the earphone or headset jack port on the phone to either microphone line in port or USB port on PC? Does it also require special software? Here's what I want to do: My friend and I want to record our phone...

Stolen phone - am I stuck with phone charges? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone was stolen recently and the guy who stole it called all over the place, adding about $175 in phone charges to our phone bill. I reported it stolen to Qwest, but they say the charges are still my responsibility. I am planning to refute the bill, but I don't know the correct...

View more questions Search