Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2007, 05:26 AM
    d-link adsl router and netgear wi-fi
    Hi Everyone,

I am bit confused what has happened in my office. I will explain to you people briefly , if possible help me out. We have a broadband connection the lone is configured through D-LINK ADSL router and its connected to a 8 port switch. Now recently we purchased a NETGEAR WI-FI router . Now the broadband service man how he has configured is, he has taken a straight cable CAT wire from the switch and he has connected it to NETGEAR WI-FI. Now the WI-FI is working properly. Now the problem is that, which ever connection I take from the NETGEAR WI-FI using CAT cable to connect to a system using wire, I have to change the IP address of the system . For Eg- switch connected systems have 192.168.1.xx and if I connect the system using NETGEAR WI-FI I have to change the ip-address to 192.168.0.xx. Now you people would have understood it's a class c ip address. Now how will I share the files as the ip address of few systems has changed and how can I get a Printout of that few systems through network which I have shared already in ip 192.168.1.xx. Now few systems are in 192.168.1.xx(SWITCH) and few are in 192.168.0.xx(NETGEAR WI-FI) do you have any solution for this . If so please come out with an solution.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Sounds like you may have a conflict with the DHCP server in the WiFi router and the one in the Main router. You should disable the DHCP in the WiFi router and just use it as an access point.
    EOS Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2007, 08:26 AM
    ScottGem hit that right on the head!

Dec 20, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Come back once again scott . You mean to say that I have to disable dhcp in WI-FI and I have to give the ip address manually right? And what do you mean by access point, you mean to say that the WI-FI can be just used for internet purpose?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2007, 06:41 AM
    No that's not what I mean. Let the wired router provide the IP, not Wireless one. I had a similar setup where I had a wireless router connected to a wired one. I disabled the DHCP on the wireless routerand let the wired router provide IPs.

A wireless router is generally 3 devices in one. A wireless access point to connect wireless devices into your LAN, a router to manage the connection to the Internet and share it and a wired switch. Since you already have a router connected to your broadband modem you do not need another. So you need to disable the router features (specifically DHCP) and just use the Access Point features.

Dec 22, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Thanks a lot scott . I understood now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Netgear Wireless Router will not install [ 1 Answers ]

Tried installing NetGear for wireless from CD. Installation locked up (computer did not) at step 3 (Activate Network). Have tried to install .several times. Turned off firewall, no joy. Installation will not proceed passed the Activate Network step even after allowing computer to run all night....

Wireless router-ADSL MODEM [ 2 Answers ]

I have a HUAWEI Smart AX MT882 ADSL Modem and I am trying to connect through a D-LINK WBR 1310 WIRELESS router unsuccessfully even after following the instructions given in the disk carefully. Tell me how I can connect to the net using these two.

Netgear mr814 wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

I have set up my wireless router, and I cannot see it on the connections screen for my wireless laptop... I see plenty of other wireless routers, just not mine. Please help.

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

View more questions Search