Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    segis2020 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Aggressive Behavior
    Can I do anything about my Pitbull/Blue Heeler mix stop being aggressive towards my German Shepherd mix? He is always wanting to fight him and I have never ever taught them to fight. I AM VERY AGAINST THAT.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
    There are several issues here. For starters, how old are they? Are you sure it is fighting and not play? Here is a picture of a couple of friendly young dogs enjoying having another young dog to play with:

Are their hackles raised, lots of low rumbling growling at first, yelping, fast quick bites, bits of fur and skin taken off, hard to break up, etc. The loser flees? Those are bad signs.

If it is real fighting, neuter them if not already. No reason to have intact mixed breeds. Seldom a good reason to keep pure breds intact.

Finally, if they are fighting for second place, it will be less worth while. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Unfortunately, if you put 2 of the same sex together that have a strong dominance drive and dominated their litter, even the best dog handler may not be able to keep peace.

I am glad you are concerned about this and opposed to the fighting.
    segis2020 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Aggressive Behavior!
    The German Shepherd/mix is 3 yrs old and the Pitbull/Blue Heeler is 2 yrs old. I know for a fact it is fighting because tha Pitbull/ Blue Heeler has knocked the back of the German Shepherd's head against the wall and knocked him out. He carried him around in his mouth and that is when I luckily got home. I WILL Neuter them both ASAP.
    Thank You so much for the other advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Aggressive cat [ 5 Answers ]

Hi- My husband and I have rescued several cats, some feral, some not. My question to anyone, is that the last cat that we saved becomes moody, quickly irritable and bites. I am not sure if it the temperament of this particular cat, possible past owner (if there was one) and bad habits, or...

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Aggressive shepherd 2 years old [ 3 Answers ]

My mother in law has a beautiful shepherd. There personality clashes, he tries to bite her. And has an she was bleeding. She spent 800.00 to have him retrained for his obedience. He was great for only two days and he started to bite her again... every day this has been happening. We told her to...

Aggressive male cat [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a male cat that is now one and a half years old. I have had him since he was 11 weeks old and had to hand feed him and spent lots of money at vet when we got him because he had been neglected and had terrible gastroentiritis. He has always been an affectionate cat, loveing cuddles...

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

View more questions Search