Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjackson227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 02:51 PM
    How to go about getting rights signed over
    I have been with a girl who has a 2 year old son and I want rights of him. His bio father does nothing for him or even attemps to see him. Its hurts me knowing that someone else made him but I'm the one there fathering him. I've been with this girl for a about 2 years and we are engaged to be married. The boy acts like I'm his father and even calls me daddy, seeing how I'm the only one he's ever known in that position. Can someone please point me in the right direction?? The father also didn't sign the birth certificate nor was he at the hospital for the baby's birth.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2007, 03:26 PM
    It is not as simple as you would like it to be and yet it is not that complicated either. In order for you to adopt your gf's son, you two need to be married. Then your wife will need to petition the courts for termination of parental rights from the biological father. That guy will need to sign over his rights, so that you can adopt her son. Make it all legal.

Has this guy ever paid child support? Is he in arrears? He is still responsible for that child support and even if you do adopt this boy, the bio-dad is still responsible for making up the arrears in child support.
    jennifer69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjackson227
    I have been with a girl who has a 2 year old son and i want rights of him. his bio father does nothing for him or even attemps to see him. its hurts me knowing that someone else made him but im the one there fathering him. ive been with this girl for a about 2 years and we are engaged to be married. The boy acts like im his father and even calls me daddy, seeing how im the only one hes ever known in that position. Can someone please point me in the right direction??? the father also didnt sign the birth certificate nor was he at the hospital for the babys birth.
    Easy you can adopt then cause he didn't sign nothing!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer69
    easy you can adopt then cause he didnt sign nothing!

Not true.

Going through with an adoption without getting the father's rights signed away is a BAD idea. THOSE are the adoptions that are overturned.

Getting him to sign over his rights with someone else to adopt means he owes no child support--why wouldn't he sign? It's a couple extra steps, but then you never have to worry that he'll come back in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Renter Rights in Missouri without a signed lease [ 1 Answers ]

I found an apartment to rent on Craigs List on the internet. All of the conversations were verbal and there was no signed rental agreement. The landlord refused to make the property habital... no kitchen, no key to the apartment, no private entrance. I refused to pay rent until we spoke in...

My boyfriend signed a paper to voluntary relquish his parental rights. [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend voluntary gave up his righs to his daugther. She is 6 fixing to be 7. Her mother placed her with her grandma a little after she was 9 months old. My boyfriend worked a lot and mostly out of town so he wasn't here to fix what happened and that time you can say young and dumb. (I know...

View more questions Search