Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Nt and Ot?
    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I was just reading a thread on the Jewish board and just needed to know...

Is the Old Testament only used by Jews and the New Testament used only by Christians?
    Or are there Bibles with both and used by both Chrisitians and Jews?

Thank you, to anyone who can explain and answer.:)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 19, 2007, 12:30 PM
    The Old Testament is used by both Jews and Christians.

The New Testament is used only by Christians, and tells of the life and teachings of Christ.

The Jews refer to the OT as the Tanakh.

There are differences between the Hebrew Bible and the Old Testament as viewed by Christians, but they are essentially the same book, with the same scriptures.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Synnen is right FB. Even though the Old Testament is used by both Jews and Christians, there have been many revised editions in English written by Christians, of the Old Testament, which Jews do not use. In those revisions, words & some sentence structuring have been changed. I know which thread you are looking at and you should follow it. Interpretation of scripture is the heart of the issue, and why practicing Jews don't believe, as Christians do, that Jesus was the Messiah. If you want a good understanding of the differences in the faiths, post a question on the Judaism board. For those that don't know you, explain you are Islamic and you want to understand the differences. Most of those men that post there know the differences very well and will take the time to explain any questions you have.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Thanks Synn and Ruby...

I know I should have asked in the Jewish thread to get a lot more explanation,but then things religious have a way of turning into a bit of a debate even when we don't want it to... and I guess I am not up for it.

Hopefully someone will see this one here and explain from both sides without resorting to name calling.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 05:08 PM
    It depends on what kind of a Jew a person is…The Reform, which is liberal and doesn't believe the commandments are necessarily for today; Orthodox, which is more conservative and rigorously upholds the commandments; and Conservative, which attempts to strike a balance between the two.

Now that made me wonder how many different kinds of anti-Semites there are!

There are the different kinds of Christians too… Way more than there should be!
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    It depends on what kind of a Jew a person is…The Reform, which is liberal and doesn't believe the commandments are necessarily for today; Orthodox, which is more conservative and rigorously upholds the commandments; and Conservative, which attempts to strike a balance between the two.

Now that made me wonder how many different kinds of anti-Semites there are!

There are the different kinds of Christians too… Way more than there should be!
    DC, all the Jewish sects uphold the commandments. Not sure why you think the Reform don't and the Conservatives do a balancing act with them.

How many different kinds of anti-Semites are there? First you need to pinpoint all the different faiths/non-faiths there are in this world. I don't know what you should use as a factoring agent, but I can guarantee you got at least one person within those other faiths/non-faiths is an anti-Semite!

I agree, there are way more Christian sects than there should be. Very confusing.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    DC, all the Jewish sects uphold the commandments. Not sure why you think the Reform don't and the Conservatives do a balancing act with them.

Read it, where else? :p
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Where did you read that DC? Can you give me the link?
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Where did you read that DC? Can you give me the link?

Here you go...
    Yahoo! Answers - How many types of Jews are there?
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Thank you DC. I really wouldn't rely on answers from someone responding to a question on an answer forum. Just like here, you don't know the source and people who are less of an authority wind up answering a question. Next to ETWolverine, I am an amateur and know very little about Judaism. But, I do know that all practicing Jews are expected to uphold the commandments. Just as Christians are expected to.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Sorry about the spelling mistake in the heading of OP,
    Old Testament(OT) and New Testament (NT).I did correct the mistake but it hasn't changed still.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Ruby

I don’t entirely rely on what a Doctor tells me, so I agree with you there.

But possibly what you consider “Commandants” and the writer of the answer differ. Perhaps Law would have been a better word, but then I can’t know his mind.

Was, a “List of commandments” given in the Torah or just the NT.…frankly I don’t know.

Anyway, my response was purely for humor and not to be taken seriously; wrong forum for that.:)
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 03:59 PM
    FB, don't worry about the title. No problem.

DC, maybe he did mean Judaic Law. But, he didn't state that. Since FB doesn't know this stuff, I don't want to mislead her in any way. "List of commandments" ? How about "The 10 Commandments?" Moses brought them down from the mountain. Old Testament. That is very much the basis & foundation of Judaic law. The NT is about Jesus Christ and onward. Which, I am assuming FB is learning that the Jews dismiss. Please don't ask me about the Torah. LOL! I really know very little. Next to Elliot's knowledge of Judaism, I am a dolt.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Ruby

A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)
    Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

I really don't believe for a moment that the three branches of the Jewish tradition express by the answer practice all these commandments.:)
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 04:45 PM
    I doubt it DC but I don't know. I would imagine it would be hard for anyone to remember all of them. But at least I got you to do a little more research, didn't I? ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 05:05 PM
    I doubt it DC but I don't know. I would imagine it would be hard for anyone to remember all of them. But at least I got ya to do a little more research, didn't I? ;)
    Fiend!! …Naw, not really, but it did give me a break from my busy schedule…thanks :rolleyes:
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Feb 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
    I'm probably off topic. Again! But the phrase anti-semitic is interesting. I know it is applied to anti-Jewish, but actually semetic means descendent of Shem, Noah's son. So there are a lot of those, including Arabs, among others, probably most of the Mid-Eastern population are semites. Don't tell them though. They might not like it.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2008, 02:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    I'm probably off topic. Again! But the phrase anti-semitic is interesting. I know it is applied to anti-Jewish, but actually semetic means descendent of Shem, Noah's son. So there are a lot of those, including Arabs, among others, probably most of the Mid-Eastern population are semites. Don't tell them though. They might not like it.
    And would you please explain why they may not like it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search