Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janewh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 10:00 AM
    A Debt from 20 yrs ago
    I financed some furniture 20 years ago, in 1988 or 1989. I was evicted with 72 hours to leave premises. I called the furniture company and informed them because I didn't have anywhere to take the furniture, everything went on the sidewalk. Now the family is trying to collect in 2007. What are my rights. Im in Newport News, Va
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Well generally the statute of limitations should have past on this. So they should no longer be able to sue you. But if you borrwoed money to make a purchase and you did not pay that money back, then you owe it and they can dun you for it.

Now its possible they sued and obtained a judgement previously and renewed that judgement. If so, they can use it to garnish salary or assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

College Debt / Written off Debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have about $8,000 of unpaid College Debt and about $3,000 of other written off debt from credit cards used in College. I have not paid on these debts for over 10 years and they have been sold over and over to collectors. I have recently inherited about $50,000 in cash from a deceased parent's...

Debt collection twice same debt [ 1 Answers ]

I was placed in collections oct 2003 for an outstanding debt with rogers cell phone. I paid the debt in full oct 29/03 . Through nordon collections I was just notified by canadian collections that rogers has again placed a collection against this same debt. They keep calling with the auto...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

Question #2 Debt Validation: Should I wait out and old debt? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Concerning the Debt Validation / Verification process: If a debt is due to expire (over 7 years old) in a couple of months, is it better to validate /verify it; or wait it out and then get it removed - that is, will the act of verifying the debt renew the life of the debt if it is proved...

View more questions Search