Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmcgaha1957 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 09:16 AM
    3rd party testimony
    If a statement was taken from an individual by a police officer in regard to a complaint filed can that officer take the stand if the case goes to trial and repeat this statement and it be admitted as evidence or would it be considered "hear say"? Also would that individual be required to testify in court and repeat what he or she said in the statement for it to carry any "legal weight" with the court and then be submitted to cross examination?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2007, 09:46 AM
    A defendant has the right to confront and cross examine their accusers. However a police officer can testify as to what their investigation uncovered. So its hard to give a hard and fast answer to that. Most likely, the witness would be required to appear in court so they can be cross examined. However, a judge might allow a deposition to be taken.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Hello tm:

In a perfect world, what someone told a cop could NOT be uttered in court BY THE COP. The person who made the statement would have to appear and be cross examined.

However, we don't live in a perfect world. We live in a world where we have unscrupulous prosecutors, bad lawyers and dumb judges.

So, I don't know if that statement could get in or not.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
    By the way, if you want to see just how badly a trial can go for defendants, read John Grisham's The Innocent Man. This is a TRUE story of people wrongfully convicted of murder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Testimony [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: Ain't Public TV great?? You never know what you might learn. Do you know where the term "testify" comes from?? I didn't either. In order to be believed in court, an ancient Athenian had to be holding the warm and dripping testicles of a goat he just sacrificed Isn't that...

When we party. [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am a young guy (21) who likes to party in the weekend, occasionally (like last night) I drink too much when I'm partying, this results in me ending up saying things that doesn't make sense. The other problem is that when I do drink too much I sometimes drive in my car, this being very...

View more questions Search