Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoke_bear Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2005, 10:24 AM
    Partition question
    Hey, I have a ? About partitioning, I want to partition my new PC with out going through the steps of using my reformat disk, is there any way to do this without going through this process? I don't want all my stuff just c drive only, any help with this matter would be gratefully appreciated, thxs a lot,, SMOKE!! :D
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 23, 2005, 12:40 PM
    Hi Smoke,

Initially, I have to say :

Always backup important documents before performing any formatting or re-partitioning. Improper partitioning and/or formatting can destroy all data on a drive (not just the partition you are working with).

When you say your reformat disk I'll assume you mean your system recovery disk that reverts the computer to how it was when you got it. If you mean something different please let me know and we'll go from there.

Could you elaborate on your needs, why do you want to partition your drive, is it to create some separate drives for storage etc or what?

When you say "I dont want all my stuff just c drive only" do you want to just keep the things on C drive or everything but C?

How is your system configured at the moment ( how many drive letters and what's on them that you want to keep).

Do you want to re-install windows on a new partition or keep the existing setup and just change the partition layout?

Sorry for all the questions but there's a few different approaches depending on your answers.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2005, 12:46 PM
    Buy Partition Magic. It's made specifically for what you describe.

Dec 23, 2005, 03:50 PM
    Hi, well, I was hoping to use c drive for my xp systems and the programs to ru it, and d drive is for my cd rom, I was wanting to put 40 gb'sa into c drive and split the rest up in other drives, but I wasn't wanting to have to reformat since I just got it last week, I hope this explains what I would like to do, any help would be gratefully appreciated, thxs

Dec 23, 2005, 03:52 PM
    Thxs for being patient with me, I meant to tell you in the other reply I got 160 gb hard drive, hope this helps as well:) :)
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 24, 2005, 03:35 AM
    Hi, You will need some software that resizes your hard disk partitions. A lot of people recommend Partition Magic:
    http://www.powerquest.com/home_homeo...m80/index.html

But I have not used it so I will recommend Partition Commander, as I like this one:
    http://www.v-com.com/product/Partiti...nder_Home.html

However, there are free utilities that will do the job, but I haven't really used these so make sure you:

1- read any documents that come with the programs before using the programs

2 - make sure of your backup - if this all goes wrong can you use a system recovery cd to restore your system.

Ranish Partition Manager
    http://www.ranish.com/part/

The Partition Resizer
    http://www.zeleps.com/

3d Partition Manager
    http://www.sofotex.com/3D-Partition-...oad_L1884.html

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to format one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

I partitioned h. drive 80 Gb on two partitions. One is for OS and applications (10 Gb) and other (the rest) for everything. I want to format 1st partition w/out damaging other because, I guess, it cougth a virus. How can I do this? Thank you.

Partition or not? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maxtor hard drive with 41 GB of free space and 16GB of used space.It never really differs from this. Should I compress the drive which is a option in the Properties folder for the drive or partition and if so how? Thanks

Partition for Mac & IBM [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to have an external USB 2.0 hard drive, that can be used on both mac and IBM systems. Would need to access the files from either OS. I have no idea about Mac at all, and don't know if Mac can read FAT or NTFS. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks :)

Creating one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:- C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive) I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\ E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not...

View more questions Search