Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fnyldy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
    220v wiring
    I just bought a Phoenix hot tub and I need to know how to I hook it up to 220v.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Depends on power requirements.
    Could be 120 or 240 Volts, from 20 Amps to 60 Amps or More. It will need to have wiring to handle volts and current, and need to be gfi protected, with a disconnect within line of sight. Where do you live? What do you have?

Dec 19, 2007, 07:29 PM
    I have a Phoenix hot tub. It is 220v. I need to wire it to the panel box and put a GCFI in too.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Dec 19, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Just curious: I thought most hot tubs come equipped with a GFCI. So all you should have to do is wire it into the panel box with the proper amperage fuse, and appropriate wiring.

I had an electrician wire my tub. He installed a subpanel outside (similar to the AC unit) so that if I need to service the tub, I can disconnect the power from outside, and lock the box so that nobody can switch it on and fry me accidentally (or purposefully).

Dec 19, 2007, 07:37 PM
    An electrician wants $758.00 to do the job. That is outragious.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 07:55 PM
    This is a decent picture of the wiring for a hot tub

Master Spas Portable Hot Tubs: Hot Tub Wiring Diagram

If this helps you please rate my answer
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 20, 2007, 06:57 AM
    fnyldy... how can you possibly claim that price is outrageous? I ran a 6/3 cable the other day that cost half of that just for the cable! The GFCI breaker alone can be $100. Plus, he has to pay for his truck, tools, his ongoing education, and still make a living. Quite honestly, the price you quoted sounds dirt cheap to me. It just frosts my cookies to hear a statement like that. The only thing outrageous here is your statement. Rant off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v wiring [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just built a house and had 220V ran to my garage for my welder. Well I didn't notice until it was too late but the electrician ran 4-wire instead of the 10-2 I needed. I was wondering if it was possible to use this wire to connect my 3 prong outlet and just leave the fourth wire unused....

220V electrical wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing my built-in oven & upon removing the old one, I discovered that it was connected to a 2-lead (+ ground) wire. They had the neutral lead & the ground from the oven connected to the ground lead from the service panel. They used the black & white leads for the two "hot" leads. There...

220v range wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a slide in range with cooktop. I am putting in where old cooktop was. I only have 3 wires, 1 balck, 1 white, 1 ground. The only range outlet I could find was a four prong. I thought black was hot and white was neutral and then of course you have the ground. I am finding out now I am...

Splicing 220V wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I need to run a dedicated 220V line to a new Advantium microwave oven in a kitchen remodel. I have an existing 220V line that went to an electric cooktop that was replaced with a gas cooktop. Can I splice into the existing 220V line that did run to the old cooktop and extend that line in the...

220v wiring. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a vacuum pump for a vacuum-form table to a 220v. 3 wires coming of the wall - black and red (I assumed are hot) and white (neutral). I also have a vacuum switch (installed between the pump and the tank) and a main switch (to turn the table on and off). The pump wiring...

View more questions Search