Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2005, 08:04 AM
    Address book/Incoming?
    I received a notice of a Harris interactive survey today. It had this notice:

''Make Sure Your Voice is Heard:
    To ensure that our email keeps getting through to you, please
    add our email address to your address book - [email protected].
    This will help us deliver our survey invitations to your Inbox,
    allowing you to continue to share your opinions with us and earn
    more HIpoints. Thank you for your membership and participation
    in the Harris Poll Online. We value your opinions!''

So how would having their address in my address book help incoming emails? I never send them email, just click on the boxes on a webpage. I don't have any anti spam or virus software as such. I rely on my ISP for spam filtering which does a fairly good job. As for viruses and other malware, my Mandrake OS and NS 4.8 for email and Konqueror for browsing have kept them away so far. Are there filters that automatically let anything through from any address in the address book? That way you could get all your copies of the Netsky virus.

Spam comes in spurts. I maybe get about a half dozen over a couple of weeks and then none for a month or 2. I figure somebody gets around the filters, but then a fix is found and applied.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2005, 08:22 AM
    Many spam filters check questionable addresses against your address book. If the address is in the address book, its assumed to be acceptable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Protect Address Book. Can This Be True? [ 6 Answers ]

Below is a e-mail I received from a friend today, sounds good, in fact to good to be true,maybe someone has more info,on this subject I checked"snopes", & hoaxbusters, they had nothing!! Here it is: [email protected]". Subject: email address book HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK! I...

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Headings Not Visible in Outlook Address Book [ 3 Answers ]

I have been gradually switching over my names & business contacts to Outlook Express. The list is expanded to include a lot more info like Bus Name address phone fax etc. When I am finished I cannot view the business name etc. All I see are Surname, First Name email and phone numbers. ...

Address Book [ 2 Answers ]

I keep getting rejected messages that I haven't sent.It looks as if someone has gotten into a mailbox that has coded my address with a two letter suffix before the legit addy. It usually happens on the weekends, showing up on Mondays mail. How can I find out whose Address list has been hijacked ?...

View more questions Search