Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhfw80d Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Second Floor P Trap
    I have a three story house. The second story (main level) has one small bathroom. It has tiles floor (probablyencased in cement and not removable) with a drain. I have never used this shower and I am in the plan to renovate it. All is well in the bathroom itself, but the bottom floor (basement, but not under ground) has exposed ceilings, so I can get to the drain from the shower. It has been disconnected prior to my moving in. I want to install a p-trap, if that is what it needs. The remaining plumbing consists of a 1 1/2" drain from the shower, it is galvanized pipe with 1 1/2" threds. Then there is a 20" long 2" galvanized pipe, (no threds) coming from the standpipe. There is enough gap to put a standard p trap in there, but not sure if that is what I need. Can you describe to process so it works correctly, assuming I cannot use PVC (live in San Francisco). Do I need venting? Do I need to replace the entire system with 2" p trap, or is the 2" pipe going to the stand OK? Anxious to get this finished. If I can use a 1 1/2" brass p trap, which fits inside the 2" pipe. How do I connect the two? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 19, 2007, 07:16 AM
    You lost me with.
    The remaining plumbing consists of a 1 1/2" drain from the shower, it is galvanized pipe with 1 1/2" threds.Then there is a 20" long 2" galvanized pipe, (no threds) coming from the standpipe.
    By stand pipe do you mean the stack? Please explain, in detail, what these pipes connect to. If there is no trap then what's the pipe coming from the shower? The pipe with no threads sounds like they were cut off when the shower was disconnected. One other thing. If the shower connects directly into the stack where's the shower vent to? You say PVC's outlawed id S.F. Will you be pulling a permit and call a inspection on this job? If not then remove all the galvanized piping and convert to PVC. Sound like a plan? Tom
    dhfw80d Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 08:23 AM
    The 2" pipe coming from the shower is the drain.

The 2" galvanized pipe may have been cut, not sure. It connects to a pipe coming from the toilet in the same bathroom.

PVC is not allowed in San Francisco, and although no permit is being pulled, I don't want to use it. It would be much easier if I could.

In theory I could remove the 20" long pipe and replace it with another 20" with threds. That is what I will do unlesss there is an easier way. I am not sure how easy to remove a pipe placed there in 1935.

I don't think there is a vent for the shower. Do I need one with such a short connection?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 19, 2007, 08:47 AM
    The 2" pipe coming from the shower is the drain.
    You say you have no "P" trap and raiser. What's coming down from the shower drain itself? This 2" pipe's just hanging there not connected to anything?
    PVC is not allowed in San Francisco, and although no permit is being pulled, I don't want to use it. It would be much easier if I could.
    I try to stay within code but if a repair works and staying within code presents a hardship I go with the easy way. Unless you're planing on selling I would take the easy way out. Growler would disagree but I believe some codes are goofy and since this job won't be inspected, why not?
    In theory I could remove the 20" long pipe and replace it with another 20" with threds. That is what I will do unlesss there is an easier way. I am not sure how easy to remove a pipe placed there in 1935.
    If I were you I would remove the galvanized pipe from the sanitary tee on the stack, install a PVC male threaded adapter and convert to PVC. This is the easiest but if you wish to stay within code you can redo with galvanized or convert to copper at the san tee.
    I don't think there is a vent for the shower. Do I need one with such a short connection?
    Again, code mandates a vent for every fixture that has a trap. However, I'm,a great believer in, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Your shower's been draining since 1935. Adding a vent would be a major undertaking at this time.
    If you're really concerned you could add a AAV, (air admittance vent) uust past the trap but I presume that S.F. has those outlawed also. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find the floor drain trap in the basement? [ 6 Answers ]

Guys, I'm new home owner and I have sewer odor in the basement when I turned on my air heater. I read that the floor drain trap should be fill up but I don't know how do I find floor drain trap in the basement so can any one help me? Thanks in advance Dave

2nd Floor Shower Trap [ 9 Answers ]

There is no drain cover to my second story bath tub, and I believe there is a toy from the kids down there. No water at all drains over time, it has to be scooped into the toilet. I went downstairs underneath the bathroom and knocked out a section of drywall to get to the shower trap, and was...

P-trap below floor level [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having some plumbling work done(adding washer to half bath). The plumber can out and connected a drain to the main line for the washer. The problem I don't understand why he installed a P-trap under the floor which is to be filled in with concrete later. I also concerned on how he will vent...

Distance for p-trap above floor and to first tee [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm a new home owner (or should I say owner of a really old pre-owned house). I'm looking to add a washing machine on the second floor in my pantry. I installed the dryer vent, the electrical, and have the rough plumbing pipes running down into the basement ( only the hot/cold water is...

2nd Floor Shower Trap [ 1 Answers ]

I found this message on this forum https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=4331&highlight=RUNNING+SHOWER+TRAP I have the same issue I need to trap a 2nd floor shower (floor joists 2x8) so I want to know if I can do this thing called the running "U" trap and how I build one. I want to run...

View more questions Search