Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlmeehan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 02:12 PM
    CD-RW drive will not recognize CERTAIN CDs
    My CD drive will not recognize certain cds. I insert the cd and it's like there is nothing there, but other cds play fine.

Any suggestions?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Maybe you could try using a cleaning disc. I think some discs, rarely, are not compatible with some machines for some reason or another. I have had some discs that didn't work but worked for others.
    Then too if the disc has a scratch at the very beginning it won't read it either.

Dec 18, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried it. Cleaning did not help, nor is the cd scratched since it works in my stereo just not on my cd-rw drive.

Its strange, no program on my computer will recognized the cd. Not itunes, windows media player, not even windows explorer. It's like the disk does not exist.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 09:45 PM
    When you say it plays in your stereo, I take it it is a music cd? If so what program do you use to play cds. There's no reason a store bought music cd will not play. Need more info if you could.

Dec 21, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Yes, It's a music CD. The new Eagles, which by the way is a 2 disk set and I have the problem with both disks. I use primarily itunes, however I've also tried windows media player and it won't play. No program on my computer will recognize that there is a disk in the drive, not even windows explorer.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Sorry I didn't ask this earlier, what operating system are you using, XP or Vista?

Ok, lets try a couple of things. I'm going to assume you are using XP at this point.

Without any cd in drive, go to windows explorer and right click on your cd drive
    Go to properties and then to the autoplay button
    Use the dropdown list and click on "Music CD"
    Put dot in "select an actio to perform"
    Go down the list and hightlight "play audio cd using windows media player"
    Click apply then OK
    Now, open windows media player - click on tools then options
    Click on the "file types" tab - and make sure there is a check in the Music cd playback box
    Click OK
    Now close everything
    Now insert your disk and let's see what happens

Dec 21, 2007, 01:47 PM
    No luck. It's like the disk dosen't exist. Very strange.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Hmmm... One other thing we can try, control panel, system, hardware, device manager

In device manager click on the plus sign next to cd rom drives and hightlight your cd rom drive and right click on it and them go to properties.

Once in properties dialog box the second tab should be Properties, click that tab

Make sure there is a check mark in the box for " Enabel digital CD audio for this cd-rom device"
    Click OK, then exit out of everything and try again, if there is already a checkmark in that box, then I've run out of ideas
    Please post your results, interested in this- Hope this is it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My laptop doesn't recognize CD Rom drive either [ 1 Answers ]

My Toshiba laptop doesn't recognize the CD Rom drive. When I insert a disc, the drive opens and closes. The lights flash, and I can hear the CD spinning. But there is no action on the screen. When I go to Control Panel or Windows Explorer - the CD Rom Drive does not show up. Just my C drive and A...

Laptop doesn't recognize CD Rom drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have IBM R32 laptop that doesn't recognize CD Rom drive in My computer or Device manager. If I swap CD drive with Floppy drive computer recognize Floppy drive. If I put that CD Rom drive in another IBM laptop that laptop recognize him and it works OK. When I put CD Rom drive in IBM R32 laptop it...

Unable to recognize cd drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a problem with my cd drive when ever I am putting any cd in then the driver is missing from my computer can u suggest me the reason for that one

Computer won't recognize cd/dvd drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Sometimes my computer will not recognize my cd/dvd drive . When it doesn't recognize the drive its like it lost power. The door want open, no light will light up.I ckecked to see if my computer showed my other drives, and it does just not cd/dvd drive. I can shut down my...

Drive Does Not Recognize SOME CDs [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought an iPod, so I've been transferring songs from old purchased music CDs to my computer. Some work fine, but others are not being read by my hard drive. They are not corrupted, nor is my drive damaged. I updated my iTunes, rebooted, did everything I can possibly think of... but the...

View more questions Search