Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jawad_babar Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Dec 22, 2005, 11:41 PM
    New friends in canada
    Hi, I will soon get a Canadian immigrant visa and will be moving to Calgary. I really need to find more and more friends in Calgary. Can anybody help me where on the net can I find new friends?

Thanks,
    Jawad.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2005, 12:09 AM
    I am in Canada, but I'm about a days' drive from Calgary, and live in a different province than Alberta. Calgary is a beautiful city though. I'll think you'll really like it! :) There are other Canadians on this site too, but I'm not sure where in Canada they all are... they'd have to tell you that themselves.

To find friends in Canada you might want to try a pen pal site such as Pen Pal World, and then just look at the Canadian entries. Pen Pal World has several hundred Canadian entries, last time I checked. These are all people who are interested in corresponding through email or snail mail. Some even say what province they're in. Here's the address:

http://www.penpalworld.com

Good luck and welcome to Canada!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2005, 02:13 AM
    I am at least 2 days drive from Calgary and never been, but I heard it is a really nice place. I am sure you will have no problem developing friendships. Good luck.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2005, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jawad_babar
    Hi, i will soon get a Canadian immigrant visa and will be moving to Calgary.
    Who can't get a Canadian immigrant visa these days?

Moving to Calgary eh? Smart bet moving to any city in Alberta. Next year, they are predicting a surplus of 19 billion. Provincial taxes in Alberta might even be wiped out. Alberta is the best province to be living in right now... for now.

Soon Ontario will come back and re take the number 1 spot... I can only hope :D
    jawad_babar Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2005, 09:37 PM
    Jobs in alberta
    What about job opportunities in alberta? Are they easily available?
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2005, 09:48 PM
    Alberta is a "have" province, which means basically the economy is doing really well. You've picked a good province to move to for finding jobs. I don't think you'll have any trouble, as long as your English is good and you are qualified.
    charmingmark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Someone in the US told me that jobs are difficult to find in Alberta. I'll like to know how true that is. This is important to me because I'll be travelling soon to Calgary to study in Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. Thank you.
    charmingmark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 01:55 PM
    What about doing business in Alberta as a temporary resident?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charmingmark
    Someone in the US told me that jobs are difficult to find in Alberta. I'll like to know how true that is. This is important to me because I'll be travelling soon to Calgary to study in Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. Thank you.
    I would say they are wrong.

Check out this website for jobs: http://jobbank.gc.ca/Intro_en.asp

Government search engine with a bunch of jobs. Students and Adults. Choose the appropriate links.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 03:31 PM
    I agree with Captain Forest, there are more jobs to be had in Alberta than in many other parts of Canada. In Calgary it can be difficult to find housing, but jobs are almost always available. Of course it depends also on what kind of job you're looking for, and whether you have a permit to work in Canada.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel to Canada [ 6 Answers ]

I plan to take the family to visit some friends in Canada this Easter and was wondering if there are any special documentation I'm going to need when: From US to Canada: - Leaving the US - Entering Canada From Canada to US on the way back: - Leaving Canada - Entering the US

Travel to Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Canadian,living in the U.S. with a permanent residence card.Do I need a passport to go back into Canadato visit, And if so how do I get one.

Going to Canada [ 5 Answers ]

Did that go into effect to need a passport to go to Canada this year? We want to go up this summer?

View more questions Search