Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandalee Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2007, 12:43 PM
    What does it mean?
    I have been given a task by my boyfriend to achieve some truth in my life. He has said that everything I do, I should ask myself "what does this mean in and by itself".

What the hell does this mean?

How do I go about doing this if I don't understand? Do I have to look into everything with such intense detail?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
    He could mean what is the benefit? To who? Is it a positive with a purpose and goal?
    Is it something I am doing or not doing in order to procrastinate? Is it good for my overall well being?
    After doing this for a while it becomes as simple as breathing and instinct.

I can't say why he wants you to do this. He may feel that it will benefit you in some way.
    He may feel that your judgment or your going about things in a way that you could improve by doing this.
    greatodie Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2009, 08:13 PM

He thinks you are not capable enough to figure out what's useful or useless to you ?

I guess he is quizzing your thinking abilities?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 11:27 PM

Make him a nice dinner and just when he's about to take a bite, stop him and ask him first to tell you what it means.
    tonyrey Posts: 102, Reputation: 10

Mar 10, 2009, 03:48 AM

You are quite right in saying you don't have to look into everything in such detail. If we become too scrupulous we make ourselves and everyone else miserable - and risk finishing up in a psychiatric ward.

But it is also possible to go to the other extreme and become too superficial, especially in a world dominated by advertising and false promises. We need to liberate ourselves by pausing to reflect and appreciate what we have... and develop our personality...
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 07:41 AM

I don't disagree tonyrey, but this boyfriend is overstepping in my opinion.

A task is taking out the garbage or calling the propane company. Achieving truth in your life (whatever that means) is not something that someone else asks you to do. If they do, they have poor boundaries.

I suspect this comment was meant to make her feel doubtful and inferior to him. If he wanted to actually change her, a questionable endeavor, he would have engaged her in conversation, not made enigmatic demands.
    tonyrey Posts: 102, Reputation: 10

Mar 10, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    I don't disagree tonyrey, but this boyfriend is overstepping in my opinion.

A task is taking out the garbage or calling the propane company. Achieving truth in your life (whatever that means) is not something that someone else asks you to do. If they do, they have poor boundaries.

I suspect this comment was meant to make her feel doubtful and inferior to him. If he wanted to actually change her, a questionable endeavor, he would have engaged her in conversation, not made enigmatic demands.
    On rereading the question I entirely agree with you. To give the young lady "a task to achieve some truth in her life" implies that he is in a better position to judge her progress... What are his qualifications to do so?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search