Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Men to blame for global warming
    At least it's not just Bush's fault any more...

Chief scientist in sports cars warning to women

By Richard Gray, Science Correspondent
    Last Updated: 2:55am GMT 17/12/2007

Women must stop admiring men who drive sports cars if they want to join the fight against global warming, the Government's chief scientist has urged.

Professor Sir David King said governments could only do so much to control greenhouse gas emissions and it was time for a cultural change among the British public.

And he singled out women who find supercar drivers "sexy", adding that they should divert their affections to men who live more environmentally-friendly lives.

His comments were greeted with anger by sports car drivers who insisted that their vehicles' greenhouse gas emissions were tiny compared with those from four-wheel-drive vehicles.

Sir David, who is due to retire as the UK's Chief Scientific Adviser at the end of the year, said individuals needed to change their behaviour.

"I was asked at a lecture by a young woman about what she could do and I told her to stop admiring young men in Ferraris," he said.

"What I was saying is that you have got to admire people who are conserving energy and not those wilfully using it."

Sir David, who persuaded the Government to start using the Toyota Prius, a hybrid car that claims to have lower emissions than most conventional cars, added: "Government has so many levers that it can pull - when it comes to the business sector it is quite effective.

"As soon as you come to the individual, however, they will buy a Ferrari, not because it is cheap to run or has low carbon dioxide emissions, but because young women think it is sexy to see men driving Ferraris. That is the area where a culture change is needed."

A Ferrari F430 produces 420g/km of carbon dioxide - more than four times as much as the hybrid petrol-electric Prius.

Car enthusiasts criticised Sir David for attempting to lay the blame for climate change on a small number of drivers who own sports cars.

Peter Everingham, secretary the Ferrari Owners Club, said: "Nearly 90 per cent of people who buy Ferraris are married so they are not looking to impress women by buying their car.

"There are fewer than 5,600 cars made a year by Ferrari. To suggest Ferraris are a factor in climate change is unhelpful."

Sir David, who will next month publish a book on climate change called Hot Topic, insists his comments were intended as an example of the scale of culture change that is needed in society in order to combat global warming.

As chief scientist he has been instrumental in driving the climate change issue to the top of the political agenda.

Three years ago he sparked controversy when he claimed that global warming was a more serious threat than that of global terrorism.

Sir David said: "For a while I was quite unpopular at Number 10, but the point is that the Prime Minister then understood this was a very important issue.

"Now I would go one step further and say that our civilisation has never had to face up to as big a challenge as the climate change challenge of the 21st century."
    Personally, I think women in Suburban Assault Vehicles on cell phones are a bigger threat (in more ways than one) than men in Ferraris.

So how about it, who's willing to stop buying sports cars to impress women and who's willing to stop admiring men in sports cars to save the earth?

Is climate change a bigger threat than global terrorism? Would the Jihadists feel right at home on a hotter, dryer planet? Could their victory over the western infidels be just what this earth needs?
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Dec 18, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Yay! So metrosexual males in sports cars are the villians now? It's about time! I was tired of us rednecks in 4x4's getting all the blame.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:03 PM
    I kind of like those guys in mopeds myself. Lol. It is hard to believe that 90% of the men who buy Ferrarri's are married. Come on now...

Dec 18, 2007, 01:08 PM
    If I could, I'd buy a moped just for my in-town errands and stuff. Unfortunately, I work 60 miles from my house and two vehicles isn't practical.

I did, however, sell the 4x4 and buy a small car. I think my testosterone levels have dropped about 65% since then, but I'm getting better MPG!
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Lol, Kindj. Now write for a government grant to do a study based on your theory (about the testosterone levels). You would stand just as good as chance at getting one as someone else I would think. Maybe put a "green" spin on it. ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj
    Yay! So metrosexual males in sports cars are the villians now? It's about time! I was tired of us rednecks in 4x4's getting all the blame.
    Technically he was blaming women who admire metrosexual males in sports cars, but we all know if it weren't for men there would be no 660 horsepower Ferraris. But like you said, at least rednecks in 4x4's can now catch a break. :D

Dec 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Lol, Kindj. Now write for a government grant to do a study based on your theory (about the testosterone levels). You would stand just as good as chance at getting one as someone else I would think. Maybe put a "green" spin on it. ;)

There you go! How's this for a premise: "The recent drive toward better ecological health does in fact have a detrimental effect on the testosterone levels of normal males. While the human-hating earth-lovers might see this as a plus due to the population control possibilities, it will actually prove to have disastrous effects. The notion is that these eco-friendly/testosterone dropping measures will only take place in technologically developed countries: namely, North America and Europe, with certain subsets of Asia also participating. As the male members of these societies have their vital male hormone levels dropped, their urge to procreate will likewise drop, resulting in a population decline in these areas. This will provide the impetus for a surge in military and paramilitary activities on the part of nations whose ideology and theology drives them to world domination. Thus, the desired effect of a utopian planet where all creatures hold hands and sing "We Are The World" will not occur; rather, the previously strong and independent nations will crumble under the weight of the terrorist and homicide bomber, all in the name of jihad."

****Just humor, folks. Don't get all bent out of shape.****
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:46 PM
    I kind of like those guys in mopeds myself. Lol. It is hard to believe that 90% of the men who buy Ferrarri's are married. Come on now...
    Geez, now you made me go find Ferrari owner demographics. Fortunately, thanks to the internet that is possible, lol.

Here are the demographics of the typical Ferrari owner, provided by Ferrari North America:

-- Annual household income of $1 million or more.

-- Ninety-eight percent are male.

-- Occupation: professionals, entrepreneurs and high profile individuals; 82 percent are self-employed.

-- College graduates: 79 percent.

-- Post-graduate degrees: 39 percent.

-- Half the Ferrari owners own five or more cars and 65 percent own more than one Ferrari.
    No word on whether they're married - but - seeing as how Corvette buyers "typically are 35- to 55-year-old married men," and "Ferrari customers happily wait a year or two for their cars," it makes sense that most Ferrari owners would also be married and not waiting a year or two for a car to attract women.

Looking at the demographics though, do you think women would be more interested in their finances than than their Ferraris?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:57 PM
    I kinda like those guys in mopeds myself. lol. It is hard to believe that 90% of the men who buy Ferrarri's are married. Come on now....
    At the end of the day, being married is a non-issue. If 90% of the men who own Ferrarri's are married, are we supposed to believe that those men have absolutely no intention of trying to impress young ladies? ;)

Personally, I think there is nothing sexier than a man wearing an expensive three piece suit riding a motorcycle. Are the emissions any better on those?
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    At the end of the day, being married is a non-issue. If 90% of the men who own Ferrarri's are married, are we supposed to believe that those men have absolutely no intention of trying to impress young ladies? ;)
    No. ;)

Personally, I think there is nothing sexier than a man wearing an expensive three piece suit riding a motorcycle. Are the emissions any better on those?
    A Harley can get up to 45 mpg, A Honda Goldwing up to 42 mpg, so motorcycles can be more fuel efficient. But who wants to wear a 3 piece suit while cruising on your bike?

Dec 18, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx

A Harley can get up to 45 mpg, A Honda Goldwing up to 42 mpg, so motorcycles can be more fuel efficient. But who wants to wear a 3 piece suit while cruising on your bike?
    Oh, to be able to afford the HD I want sooooo badly.

However, as to the suit/bike issue:

I work with a young lady who I find rather attractive (if I weren't happily married, I'd find her VERY attractive). Anyway, she says there's nothing sexier than a "knuckle dragger" dressed up in a suit.

What better way to combine a knuckle-dragging persona with dressing nice?
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 03:06 PM
    kindj, unless the "knuckle dragger" cleans up well and is wearing an expensive suit, it doesn't do anything for me. BUT, if he does do that, very sexy indeedy! It is tough to explain to a guy why some of us women are turned on by stuff like that.

Steve, when you put it that way, I guess it doesn't make sense. LOL! I am talking about when a guy is using his bike to go to work. I used to see young men in beautiful 3 piece suits on bikes all the time when I worked in NYC in my younger days. It still makes my heart palpitate when I think about it! ;)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 18, 2007, 03:39 PM
    I know,

Men should run in those short running shorts

That way women will know we are in shape for you know what ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 03:43 PM
    What better way to combine a knuckle-dragging persona with dressing nice?
    Who needs a Ferrari, eh buddy? :D
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 03:50 PM
    It is tough to explain to a guy why some of us women are turned on by stuff like that.
    Awww Ruby, there you go stereotyping us men. There are a lot of things (and I do mean a lot, bunches, heaps, oodles, mass quantities) of things men don't understand about women, but I think most of us understand why you like a sharp dressed man. ZZ Top (Texans by the way) taught us that, lol.

Steve, when you put it that way, I guess it doesn't make sense. LOL! I am talking about when a guy is using his bike to go to work. I used to see young men in beautiful 3 piece suits on bikes all the time when I worked in NYC in my younger days. It still makes my heart palpitate when I think about it!
    Well, NYC, now I understand. We don't see many people in anything but leather on bikes around these parts :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    I know,

men should run in those short running shorts

that way women will know we are in shape for you know what ;)
    LOL! That works too. And it's a lot cheaper than a Ferrari, as speechless pointed out above. ;)

Although, there are men out there that wear things like short shorts & speedos that have no business doing that, if you catch my drift. Just like some women who have no business wearing those shorty t-shirts ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Awww Ruby, there you go stereotyping us men. There are a lot of things (and I do mean a lot, bunches, heaps, oodles, mass quantities) of things men don't understand about women, but I think most of us understand why you like a sharp dressed man. ZZ Top (Texans by the way) taught us that, lol.
    LOL! Sorry. I keep forgetting that there are some Texans out there that do pay attention and understand what a woman finds sexy and attractive. ;)
    Well, NYC, now I understand. We don't see many people in anything but leather on bikes around these parts :)
    umm. Skip my response above. We are back to square one. :rolleyes: hehe
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Although, there are men out there that wear things like short shorts & speedos that have no business doing that, if you catch my drift. Just like some women who have no business wearing those shorty t-shirts ;)
    Brace yourself...

You mean like this?

Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 04:10 PM
    We are back to square one. :rolleyes: hehe
    Now, now, lol... just stating the facts. Should you have to lay your bike down for some reason you lose a lot less hide if you're wearing leather. Besides, I don't own a bike and I know how to dress :)
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Ohhhh my goodness me. That pic just makes me swoon.. Or do I mean faint from fright? Hehehe. Thanks for sharing that, right after I ate dinner. Lol.

Kind - I really like your grant proposal idea. Ya never know, something like that could win a Nobel Prize.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Global Warming? [ 2 Answers ]

Only in Arkansas... how this got past the editor, I can only venture to guess... 4519

Global Warming - The blame for everything. [ 7 Answers ]

The above is something I found while surfing for the history of the earth's evolution. All are now concerned about global warming - and this should be information available to all. On most sites, I found that if I wanted to read more, I had to pay for it. Other, like the above link, just was...

Global warming [ 14 Answers ]

Why arnt we putting all of our power into this situation I mean countries are going to be under waterrr... and mostly in europe I am really worried and our tempratures are hanging in many parts of earth and we are having a lot of hurricanes and such... so we arnt we putting all our mind into this.....

Another global warming tragedy [ 11 Answers ]

Warming causing gray whales to lose weight, say scientists I tried but could not find a photo of one of these skinny whales. But I have an idea, instead of a "fat tax" why not promote global warming as a way to combat obesity?

Benefits of global warming [ 26 Answers ]

Anyone catch this article a few days ago? But don't get excited... Like the scientists I'm still trying to figure this out. We could see both increased agricultural production and "planet-wide food" shortages, and both "mass flooding" with "planet-wide" water shortages. I wish...

View more questions Search