Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 22, 2005, 07:02 PM
    Your Internet Connection Speed
    Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I visited, it says I haven't been on since dec 6th, I was gone due to work, xmas shopping, and traveling. Anways I was wondering what kind of internet connection everyone uses. Back in my home in California I have cable internet, which is great and super fast, and I realize it is very fast because right now I am in South Dakota, where I grew up, and the connection is a 56k modem, which if any slower would make me want to curl up in a ball and sleep under a rock. So again, I was wondering what the regular posters use on here,(fred,scott,chery,dj'h'... ) because it would seem as though a person would post more and check up on threads more frequently if their internet connection only took a few seconds to go to this site. And I agree that I do go on the internet more back at home because it is faster and takes only a few seconds, but I don't go near as much when I am out here in the dakota's.

P.S. In case I don't post till after xmas, I wish everyone a merry christmas, or happy holidays depending on what religion your participate in, and I wish you the best of luck in the new year as well.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 07:12 PM
    I have highspeed DSL for internet, not sure about the exact specs but I think my service provider said it was many times faster than a 56K modem. I know what you mean about a 56K modem being slow, though. I used to be on "extra lightspeed" DSL and it was awful. I definitely didn't surf as much then as I do now. Maybe I should go back to it so I'm not on the computer so much? Haha. Anyway hope you have a great holiday. South Dakota is beautiful... I've been there a few times as its relatively close to the part of Canada I'm living in.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 22, 2005, 07:18 PM
    Comment on orange's post
    Yeah I am staying in Aberdeen right now, and for living in cali for about 5 years, the weather is actually pretty mild, make no mistake though it gets cold. Lol.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 07:30 PM
    Cable. I think I called the cable company the day I found out I could dump my phone company and go VOIP. The longer I was on dial up, the more trouble I had even getting connected. I finally traced the problem to the phone company's switching equipment missing dialed digits. I fought the phone company for about 6 months getting nowhere. I was about ready to firebomb their office. Then one day I read in Forbes about VOIP. Did a little checking and switched as soon as the cable company could install the cable. Great always on, fast connection. I save almost enough on the phone bill to pay for the cable. I was paying $55 a month for local phone and dial up plus long distance. Long distance included $.10 a minute for half the county I live in. Now I pay a flat $72 a month for everything, all calls north of the Rio Grande included. Phone quality is better. See www.vonage.com
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 22, 2005, 11:51 PM
    Hey Whizz, long time.
    I'm sitting on a sweeet 8Meg DSL connection, that'll soon be upgraded to ASDL2+ running at a snail like 24 Meg!! :D:D

Here's a great site to test your connections speed:

Speedtest

Try it a couple of times to get a good reading, just click the Retest link.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 23, 2005, 02:57 AM
    Blueyonder
    You may have heard of Telewest Ben? I'm using their Blueyonder broadband service.Currently at 4mbit download (in theory,as it's up too :D ),but at the end of Jan 06,we get upgraded to "up to" 10mbit download.Oh yeah?

Happy xmas everyone.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 23, 2005, 06:18 AM
    I'm on NTL getting 1 meg, I'm too stingy to go for their fastest service:mad: , but a mate of mine is on it - rated at 10 meg but actually receiving about 12 meg downloads :D - and no problems with distance from exchange like ADSL 1 & 2 can have.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2005, 06:23 AM
    I joined Cablevision's Optimum Online the day it became available in my area. I don't know what the speed is off hand, especially since they just increased speed by 50% and it was between 5 & 6 Mbps before.

I've never regretted it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 23, 2005, 12:18 PM
    I started with Tampa Bay Roadrunner Cable and never regreted it. It comes into my place on fiber optics along with the TV. If you post a lot and jump around the internet high speed's the only way to go. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Internet speed [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any programs out there that can help my computer surf the web better/faster? I have an old computer to give you an idea of its... I don't know... preformance I can barely run Asherons call on this computer, I tried morpheous, but I think its gearedtowards dial-up rather then ADSL (which I...

Internet connection [ 6 Answers ]

Please forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology here. I hope you get the point. My question is I was wondering how come my internet works by the symbol at the bottom right hand corner of the screen that shows your internet connection is showing that it is not connected. The symbol...

High speed internet [ 11 Answers ]

I am pondering what kind of high speed internet to get for my computer. I am currently working with a dial up connection and would like to know what kind of high speed hook up I can use to my advantage. I am primarily using the connection for downloading music off Limewire. Love my music so give...

Internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Dear group I've a P4 1.7MHz PC with 128Mb RAM, loaded with WinXp OS. My problem is as soon as turning on my computer the IE is loading automatically and made a connection to my default home page, without any permission. What is the problem and how can I solve it? Any help will be thanked

View more questions Search