Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdblev Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Dec 17, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Charge offs
    I had a credit card back in 1996-97. I was in hard times and couldn't pay it. It ended up as a charge off. What does that mean?
    Now, 10 years later a new collector says they have bought the account and I now owe them. So where do I stand or where can I stand with this?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Charge off is a tax situation, where they charge it off as income as a loss on their taxes. That has nothing to do with their ability to sue you or collect the debt.

Each state does have their own statue of limitation, so depending on when you stopped paying, it is very likely they can not actually sue you in court for the amount. But they can bill you and try to collect the debt for the rest of your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charge-offs vs. Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are in a large amount of debt based on a business we started that didn't work out. We've been advised to file bankruptcy but we want to be responsible and pay our debts through settlements. However, our accounts will go into charge-off (probably around 15 accounts) before we'll...

Will charge-offs result in taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Are charge-offs reported as income to the IRS? We are approximately $120,000 in debt. Paying taxes on this will put us in a worse position than when we had to pay the creditors. We have no extra income right now but are planning to both get additional work in order to be able to settle our debts....

Email sign-offs [ 4 Answers ]

What ideas do you have for appropriate email sign-offs - i.e. the word or phrase before your name. I don't like Best, or Best regards. I use Cheers, but it is often not appropriate.

Write offs [ 1 Answers ]

Can I write off part of my one bedroom apartment. I work from home.

Shut offs [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a few shut offs.. ball valve type. My question is, do the "lever"s have to be positioned at the top of the valve? Can the be mounted on the side or down... the valves will be installed horizontally.. Thanks.

View more questions Search