Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bformi1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Renting property to 2 roommates-one moved out.
    I am a landlord renting a property to 2 roommates in Washington DC. One roommate decided to leave w/o notice. She only informed me that she intends to leave with no specific date or formal letter. She has now left. I have a 1yr lease with them, which ends in June 08 signed by both of the roommates. It shows the total amount due every month with no specifics of each responsibility. They usually pay ½ each. I am trying to rent the house (or find the guy another roommate). She has not paid her Dec 07 rent and said she won''t be paying anymore (she actually moved to Dallas). Until I rent this place, what legal right do I have? Can I sue her separately? What court do I file in? I don''t want the other roommate to move out leaving me with an empty house. But I want to hold her responsible for her portion. She claims that it''s my responsibility to “Mitigate Damage”. On top of that the roommates are not in speaking terms now. Is this a landlord/tenant issue or smalls claims issue? Rent is now late and she's not paying anymore. I want to take her/them to court.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
    This is a roommate/roommate issue. She is still responsible for the rent. Until another roommate can be found and replaced on the lease, she is responsible. He is also responsible for finding that roommate or coming up with the rent.
    This has little to do with you until the rent is late - unless you WANT to be more involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renter rights, renting foreclosed property. [ 8 Answers ]

I am renting a property that was recently started the foreclosed process. However, I am veryu concerned because I called the landlord and he acted as though nothing happened, and I want to know if I should not pay the next two months rent, so I can save and move out to cover my moving expenses and...

Landlord selling property while still renting it out in Philadelphia Pa. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am renting a second floor apartment duplex in Philadelphia Pennsylvania with a month to month lease. I have known from the beginning that I am dealing with a very sneaky, only out for a buck and himself, slum lord. I was away form my apartment, for two months, off and on in July and...

Buying the property you are renting [ 3 Answers ]

If you are renting a property, and before the lease is up you buy the property from the owner, when does the owner have to return to security deposit? (At closing or does he have 30 days)

Capital gains/renting out property [ 1 Answers ]

I currently own a townhouse in MD and have lived there for the last 14 months. I would like to keep the property to rent out for the next few years and rent a home closer to my job in the meantime. (I plan on moving out of state in the next 3 years or so, so I don't want to buy another property)....

View more questions Search