Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    big-galoot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Getting 2 nics to work on separate networks in one PC
    Okay, I've read the posts to get rid of the gateway, use routers and more. Here's my situation.
    A client has moved into a new office. They are now using the building's wireless to access the internet. They also have a Xerox workcentre networked to scan to a workstation. The xerox is not to be wireless, so I have it going to a router to a network card on the workstation. The problem - evidenced throughout many threads - is that xp can't connect to the internet when the LAN card is being used. The LAN card has no gateway and is statically assigned an IP.
    The wireless has 192.168.2.x with subnet 255.0 and DHCP enabled. The wired nic is 192.168.1.x with 255.124 subnet and static.
    I have used regedit to enable ip routing. They still won't allow me online if both cards are being used.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Well, just last night, I had my wireless on 10.10.0.x, DHCP, SM 255.255.255.0 and was connected for configuration reasons to 192.168.1.1 with PC at 192.168.1.100, SM 255.255.255.0 for configuration purposes. I could access both networks.

I was playing with the route cmd in the cmd interface, but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. There is a term METRIC which is "cost". I think the lower the number, the more preferred the gateway.

I was playing because I was trying to replace a DSL modem and to see if I could access it's configuration in bridge mode and bridging and not directly connected. So far, no luck, but I still have things to try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP, 2 NICs (1 wired, 1 wireless) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a weird setup of: --------- > > > Wireless > > >------Wired------- But whenever compB is connected to compC compB cannot access the internet. All computers are running Windows xp Pro. Any ideas how I let CompB and CompC access the internet at the same time? Bridging on CompB...

Link multiple networks that each have a separate internet connection [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my network configeration is as follows: (Network 1): Router (connects my PC to the internet), Switch (Router is pluged into one of the ports, the other ports are open for pc's to plug in and have access to the internet), One PC that is pluged into the second port of the Switch (the rest of...

File separate or joint? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of filing married-jointly and married-seperate? Not sure which I should do... GOt married in July. Husband is going to school, worked from Jan till May, not working now, just graduated this December. Im working full time, no children, pregnant with...

Using 2 NICs, DHCP problems [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I'll start simple, then go into details afterward, in case the setup matters. I'm running a PC with windows XP SP2, conneted to the internet through a DSL modem via ethernet cable. What I'm trying to do is connect an Xbox 360 to my computer to share media and internet connectivity through a...

Wife wants to separate [ 7 Answers ]

We were married in the USA. We lived in the USA for 3 years. We lived in France for 3.5 years. I returned to the US in January to find work as did not find much in France. I have secured a good job now. My wife does not want to move to the USA but instead wants to separate. What are the...

View more questions Search