Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 03:23 AM
    Instant replies to email.
    Hey hope you can help. I know how to generate instant replies on the new modern versions of Outlook - but I cannot remember for the life of me how you do it on Outlook express. Do I have to create a message rule for this to happen??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 03:28 AM
    It's not automated like Outlook is, that's why you can find it so it's not you, it's the program:)

I did find this: http://www.seniortechcenter.org/refe...ok_express.php
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 04:18 AM
    Cheers - that is a great help
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 05:21 AM
    If you are talking about an auto-responder, your ISP may have webmail where you can do that.

That's the case with my ISP, Roadrunner.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    If you are talking about an auto-responder, your ISP may have webmail where you can do that.

That's the case with my ISP, Roadrunner.
    My company works through a domain - so we don't actually have webmail - otherwise I hear what you are saying and I kind of wish that was the case - it would have been a damn site more quick and easier lol
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Being a domain email address, there IS webmail. And it probably does have an auto-responder feature...

... but whether they would allow you access to it is another story... :rolleyes:

Can't hurt to ask, though!
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 05:36 AM
    Well the domain was bought by my company (obviously) but is sent through to our computer technicians based half an hour away - the mail is then transmitted from them to us!! So I guess the webmail would lie with them - it's all very complex here lol
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 05:46 AM
    Yeah, that's how it goes with many corporations. There should really be no reason that they don't permit you access to your webmail since they've got it set up for you anyway. If there's a Tech person at your location, maybe ask if they know who to talk to about it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 05:58 AM
    That's the problem. I am effectively "The tech person" - no one I work with has a clue about computers - they only know how to the basics of word, excel & outlook. I am the one with computer knowledge and the capabilities to make things work. When the computer tech guys come in (which is not very often) I watch how they do stuff - I then know how to di it (I pick things up with computers really quickly) if I am shown once it usually sticks in my head.

If the computers crash I sort it - if the net goes down, I sort it - if the rooter decides not to function correctly I sort it.

I am just so used to Outlook that Outlook express confuses me. Lol - but I think I get it now. - so cheers guys :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2005, 06:28 AM
    Outlook Express does have a Rules feature. Its not as robust as Outlook, but it does exist. The only other way is to use an autoresponder on the e-mail server and for that you need to contact the operators of the server.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Outlook Express does have a Rules feature. Its not as robust as Outlook, but it does exist. The only other way is to use an autoresponder on the e-mail server and for that you need to contact the operators of the server.
    I set up an automated email reply through Outlook express in the end - but it's crap, it send an attached message not an actual response.

So in line with you other answer I went on a wim and contacted my Tech guys who have put the an autoresponder onto the server for me.

So cheers for the tip - but I was one step ahead ;) - very wise tip though :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

An instant ftp virus [ 6 Answers ]

Well... whenever I get online, my McAfee catches an ftp virus within 3 - 4 seconds and sometimes it keeps on catching it for a many time. Although this ain't causing any problem but it's quite annoying. Can someone tell me wats going on with my computer. GB

View more questions Search