Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tony39531 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 08:20 AM
    How do I solve a word dilemma using quadratic equation
    I have worked for days on this and went to every website and test I could find but cannot wrap my brain around this.

Word problems give me great difficulty and I am supposed to construct a quadratic equation for this. I'd really appreciate some help.

if a retailer spends $48 to purchase some items and two of them were broken in the store and the remaining mugs were sold for $3 above the cost of the mugs, profit was $22

I have to construct an equation to solve for the number of mugs that were originally purchased.

I think the formula is supposed to be ax (sq) +bx+c=0 but I have no idea how to plug in the numbers or if this is a proper formula. I have worked for days and even looked at wikipedia and can't get it. Please help :confused:
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Profit = Revenue - Cost.

The Profit is $22. The cost is $48.

Now, the trickiest part. After 2 are broken, the mugs sell for $3 more, a piece, then what they paid for them.

Each mug cost 48/n dollars. There are n-2 of them top sell.

The quadratic is

Solve away. One solution will be negative, therefore, erroneous.

Factor, use the quadratic formula, complete the square. Whatever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equation word problem [ 4 Answers ]

A boat travels at a speed of 20 mph in still water. It travels 48 miles upstream, and then returns to the starting point in a total of 5 hours. The speed of the current is ____mph? I am not getting the setup right. Can someone help me?

Quadratic equation-word problems [ 1 Answers ]

To save fuel on the 240km trip to their cottage, the Nakamura family reduce their usual average speed by 20km/h. This lengthens the journey time by 1 hour. What is the slower average speed?

Word problems-quadratic equation [ 1 Answers ]

word problems-quadratic equation Students sent flowers costing $20 to a sick classmate. There were four fewer students contributing than was planned, requiring each of the others to give 25 cents more. How many students contributed to the gift? HELP!

Quadratic equation Word promblem [ 2 Answers ]

A piece of copper tubing 60 inches long is cut into two equal pieces. Each piece is formed into a square frame. If the total area of the two frames if 117 square inches, what is the length of each piece of tubing?

Quadratic equation Word promblem [ 1 Answers ]

As people age, their ateries lose their elasticity, which causes blood pressure to increase. For healthy average systolic blood pressure is estimated by P=0.01A^2+0.05A+107, were P is the average blood pressure in millimeters or mercury (mm Hg) and A is the person's age. For healthy men, average...

View more questions Search