Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edesman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Sound just stopped working
    Out of the blue as far as I can figure, I lost sound from system today. No new software or hardware was installed.

I am running XP Pro SP2, on a Dell, 2 GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, Pentium 4 3 GHz processor.

The mute button is not checked. In device manager, there are no errors reported. I un-installed sound drivers from device manager and reinstalled from OEM disk (dell). On reboot, windows login sound started to come up, but was cut off midway and no sound to return.

In system services, Windows Audio service is started and set to Automatic. The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is set to automatic, but the service is listed as stopped. When I try to manually start the service, I get the "error1068: the dependency service or group failed to start" error message.

I am wondering if my Zone Alarm Pro has anything to do with this? In program control of Zone Alarm, I have allowed Windows Media Player access to trusted and internet as well as allowed for it to act as a server to my trusted zone.

Next, I tried entering setup during boot sequence, no default audio settings were noted as was indicated on a website, so I just exited without edits. At this boot, the full windows logon sound was heard, but then no sounds after I logged onto my user profile.

I have tried a known set of speakers from another system to no avail.

What am I missing and is the inability to get the Media Player Network Sharing Service the culprit?

Thanks,

E
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Dec 17, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Hi. You have you tried a "System Restore" I take it. DavidB.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 08:01 PM
    In system services, Windows Audio service is started and set to Automatic. The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is set to automatic, but the service is listed as stopped. When I try to manually start the service, I get the "error1068: the dependency service or group failed to start" error message.
    Your dependencies are other services that are required to be running before you can start the service you are trying to start.

First off - Windows Media Player... is not a required component for your sound to work but if you would like to have them to start for troublshooting issues:

Here is other services need to be started before you can "start" the Windows Media Player...

1) HTTP SSL - set this to automatic and start service
    2)Universal Plug and Play Device Host - set this to automatic and start service
    3)You should be able to start the Windows Media Player... Service

Have you checked you devices when you double click on the little speaker in your taskbar?

Double click on little speaker, should open your Master Volume, click on file and then properties. Make sure your mixer device is "your" sound card, sometimes for some reason other devices take over without user knowing it. I the boxes below put a check in anything that involes sound output. Then your master volume will com up with all the things you checked, Now make sure nothing is muted.

You should be good to go, post your results, one way or another - hope this works for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

Sound on my computer stopped working after installing xp [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out how to get the sound on my computer to work again. I used to have windows 2000 and the sound worked fine... now that I have installed windows xp... no sound. Help!

RCA Television sound stopped working [ 9 Answers ]

I normally have my TV connected to a amplifier and out to the speakers for sound. Well, today while watching the news, it was working fine and then suddenly the only sound I was receiving was static through the speakers. I changed the channel and got the same thing. I turned off the amplifier,...

Sound card stopped working. [ 3 Answers ]

My sound card has 'expired'. I recently installed webcam and have been communicating successfully (audio and visual) for some weeks. Suddenly my sound card 'went'. Attached speakers are okay. Please help if you can.

View more questions Search