Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plasticsurgery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Who do you ask to be a bridesmaid?
    My son is getting married. His finance is having her 2 sisters in the wedding and 3 best friends. My son has only 1 sibling and that is his sister. My husband and their father passed away 2 years ago and there is only the 3 of us. Do you feel that my daughter should be asked to be one of the bridesmaids? I really appreciate your answer as soon as possible. Thank you for your help.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Yes I do.

Usually sisters and brothers on both the groom and bride sides are asked first to be bridesmaids and groomsmen.

So the bride should ask your daughter to be a bridesmaid, just as your son should ask her brother(s) (if she has any) to be a groomsmen.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 17, 2007, 08:35 AM
    No I don't.

While I think it would be a nice gesture for your daughter to be a bridesmaid, the bride should have who she feels closest too.

Personally (I was married 6 months ago), we decided to have a very small wedding with only 1 attendant each. I have 2 sisters, my husband has one living brother. His brother was his best man, yet my matron of honor was my cousin. I had 2 very good reasons for my decision... 1. my cousin is very close to me. 2. My sisters are younger (22, 17) and I didn't want to burden them with the stress/cost/etc. In the end they actually thanked me for not having to be "stressed out" about it.

It's a personal choice and while I'm sure some of my guests thought it looked odd not to have my sisters... it didn't matter to me or my siblings... I did what worked for all of us.

Why not suggest that your son ask his sister to stand up on his side? Its becoming quite popular to have "mixed sides" standing at the altar. Since she would be standing up for him, I think it could be quite endearing. :)
    You might find this article helpful Alternative Attendant Formations
    Avasean Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Dec 20, 2007, 04:58 PM
    No I don't.

I think it is up to the bride who the bride's maids are. Granted it would be a very polite gesture for the bride to ask your daughter to be a bridesmaid, it isn't required. Perhaps your daughter could be a decorator or a server at the reception or even the guest book attendant. (the person that makes sure everyone signs in)
    sd1025 Posts: 98, Reputation: 11

Jan 29, 2008, 03:01 PM
    When I got maried I wanted my brother who I am very close to to be my maid of honer, but he refused reminding me that he is a guy, so he just stood up their with us, if your son and duaghter are close, talk to him about it she could stand on his side not a traditional thing I know but who cares ask your son about it, the wife may ask her to be a bridesmaid if she realizes her husband wants his sister, incadently my cousin was my maid of honor,and only bridesmaid even though I have 2 sisters
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Feb 5, 2008, 09:36 PM
    It would be a nice touch but this is the bride's decision. Don't set your daughter up to have any expectations that she will be in the wedding party. If you see it is hurting her feelings, perhaps you can privately talk to your son. Maybe he can tell his fiancé, "it would mean a lot to me for my sister to be an official witness to our marriage, so how would you feel about having her as one of the bridesmaids".

If your daughter and son aren't close, or she and the bride don't get along, don't push it. They will have to work out their relationships over time on their own.

As for an expectation she should be in it, I just wouldn't set yourself up to feel that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant bridesmaid? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I'm thinking of planning a family sometime next year,I'm on the pill at the moment!The thing is my best friend has asked me to be her bridesmaid in sept of next year and I don't think she wants me to be her "fat bridesmaid" as she called it! So I keep wondering when the best time will be,also I...

Bridesmaid, how can I let her down? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I am getting married in August 2008, I am having 6 bridesmaids, one of which doesn't return texts when I'm asking about meeting for looking at dresses, she doesn't really seem to want to do it. She is my h2b niece, what can I do what can I say to her? Don't want to be hurtful but would rather...

Horror Bridesmaid.or should I say ex-Bridesmaid [ 5 Answers ]

One of my bridesmaids (my fiance's brother fiance) phoned and told my fiancé that she didn't want to be in the wedding party anymore. I tried to call her myself to discuss why she is quitting (it is 3 months before the wedding and I asked her over a year ago to be in the wedding, it took 4 months...

Bridesmaid issue [ 2 Answers ]

I asked 2 of my friends to be bridesmaids 2 years ago when I got engaged. I haven't heard from them more than twice each in the last 2 years time. (We used to talk weekly, and hang out often). One of them got married, and I did get invited, but haven't spoken to her outside of that. The other moved...

View more questions Search