Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlBourne88 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 03:29 AM
    Bond Angles of glycine
    Im really stuck on finding out the bond angles between the atoms of glyine.

I really don't know anything so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Right on this page you can see the structure
    Glycine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What level are you at high school uni etc? Because that will depend on how I think you should approach this problem.
    Have you done hybridisation and VSEPR yet? Orbital hybridisation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you have that's how I'd work out the angles. First I would look at the structure, the look at the bonds to work out the hybridisation states. From these the propable angles could be deduced.

Hope this gives you a starting point, post back if you haven't got a clue what I'm on about!

Dec 19, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Im in uni doing a biology degree, and haven't done any chemistry before now... im doing a module in chemistry to catch up though and have some knowledge of bond angles etc, but not very much!
    We have done VSEPR a little bit but I really don't know how to work out the bond angles seeing as I have never been given any example of bond angles in amino acids before.
    If you could tell me how I'm supposed to work this out it would be of great help, I've looked around the internet and there doesn't seem to be anything on the bond angles in amino acids.

Thanks sooo much for your help!
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Ahh that narrows it down a bit! You're in luck it's my field.

Right if it is for amino acids there are three main angles
    the phi, psi and omega angles
    omega between the C1 (the C=O) and N is always around 180 degrees
    phi is between the N and C alpha [I remember this by N-H = pHI]
    psi is between C alpha and C1
    Here's a pic angles

Phi and Psi can change as they are single bonds which can rotate. However due to steric hindrance (when atoms electron denisities clash) they tend to cluster around several different angles. These can be plotted on a graph known as the Ramachandran plot. Ramachandran plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As you can see the angles cluster in two main areas one is for the alpha helix secondary protein structure and the other the beta sheet. I have put up wikipedia (again!) because it labels this.

Glycine being a small amino acid is actually quiet flexible and has more outlying phi and psi angles compared to other amino acids. Have another look at the chart- the green bits for this amino aid as it is less restricted.

Have you ever heard of PyMol? You should download it PyMOL Home Page it's free. Then go to the protein databank (RCSB Protein Data Bank) download a random pdb file and you can play with it and look at the angles and protein secondary structure.

I could talk about this until I go blue in the face so any questions fire away.

Dec 23, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Is the information you gave me on angles only for amino acids in a peptide chain?

The question I have been asked to do is: use your knowledge of covalent bonding in molecules and electron pair repulsion theory to explain and predict the bond angles between all the atoms of glycine, for example, the N-H-C bond angle and the O-C-C bond angles.

I am not sure whether this means whilst glycine is linked with other amino acids or just finding bond angles for the individual amino acid of glycine. In lectures we have only really been shown the 'regular' bond angles of things like methane etc. never amino acids.

I think I know what the N-H-C and O-C-C bonds are, but don't have a clue how to work out the angles! This question is really driving me crazy!!

If your last answer is answering this question then can you please tell me that the answer you gave me is correct and I apologise for not understanding...

Thanks sooo much for your help.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Hmm, put like that I think it must be the VSEPR theory they want you to use, in my second post I was talking about amino acids in a chain specifically.

I have just found the perfect page for you, it really is impossible just to explain this in words! http://www.docbrown.info/page06/molecule_shapes.htm Look through this page and then look at the bonding in glycine, draw in lone pairs if it helps, then label each bond.

For example the alpha carbon is tetrahedral sp3 bonded, therefore the angles are 109.5 degrees.

The 'scribbles' at the botom of the page are basically what you have to do except with your molecule.

PS when drawing out the structure of glycine to label don't forget to draw in the hydrogens!
    rajeshAQW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 10:54 AM
    What Is Battery Limite

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Amide bond (peptide bond) [ 3 Answers ]

hello ever1 I don't know much about chemistry, so hlp me with this is amide bond (peptide bond), balanced chemical equation?

Angles of elevation [ 1 Answers ]

Heyy Amy sees a radio tower at a bearing of 293 degrees and measures the angle of elevation to the top of the tower at 10 degrees. John is 350 metres from amy and measures the angle of elevation to the top of the tower at 6 degrees. The bearing from john to amy is 252 degrees. Find the height of...

Triginometry angles [ 1 Answers ]

what is the eastiest way to solve this problem. I need to be able to understand and remember it for another day? Solve <B=30 DEGREES, <C=45 DEGREES, b=9 :confused:

Acute angles [ 1 Answers ]

If α, β are acute angles such that Sin = 1/12 and Cos β = 4/5 Calculate the six trigonometric functions for the sum and differences of the two angles….

Angles [ 3 Answers ]

How do I find the angles x and y here? http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2773/matenurk001vz2.jpg

View more questions Search