Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    percival4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 11:26 PM
    Connecting 14 gauge wire and 12 gauge wires in the same blue box.
    I am wiring my basement. All the outlets are running off 2 independent 20 amp circuit breakers connected to each other by 12/2 wire.

I wanted to run some stubs off my 12/2 outlets. All each stub would do is run to a small light (max 180 watts) and of course a light switch. Since I ran out of 12/2, is it crazy to run the wire to the light and the light switch using 14/2 gauge wire?

This means that the short stub of 14/2 shares the same 20 amp breaker as the 12/2 circuit.

Is this safe? Is it code?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 05:11 AM
    No, what you propose is not allowed, nor safe.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 17, 2007, 09:53 AM
    You would then have # 14 cables protected with a 20A breaker. Won't fly and as tk said, is very unsafe. You would have to install a 15A breaker and that may not meet code either depending on the circuits. Plus, it's not considered good workmanship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wire service, wire gauge 100 amp [ 9 Answers ]

I'm installing a 100 amp service in the backyard with a separate meter on a pole next to sub-suface power tranasformer. I have a 100 amp meter box on one side of the pole and a 100 amp braker panel with a 100 amp main breaker on the other side. I'm going to place in it a 15-20 amp breaker for gfi...

Wire gauge & breaker amp for A/C [ 3 Answers ]

Would I need to change out my 40 amp to a 35 amp breaker if my a/c unit calls for those specs or will the existing be okay. Oh yea 10G wire is in place now. I'm talking about a 3 ton heat pump split unit.

What gauge wire for Airlift [ 7 Answers ]

I'm helping a friend wire their new garage. He wants a 220 plug for a vehicle airlift. What gauge wire do I need to run in order to support the airlift on a 220 plug? It will be connected to a 20 or 30 amp double-pole circuit breaker (depending on which airlift he decides to buy). With the same...

Connecting large gauge aluminum wire to service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I've completed a beautifully (inspector approved) installation of a new 200 amp service panel to my home (upgraded from 100 amp). I have now strung a 0/0 underground aluminum cable in sched. 80 conduit from my barn to the main panel to connect a sub-panel in my barn to this new 200 amp panel. ...

Gauge of wire? [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for responding. I would like to know what size of wire I need to run a circuit 125 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feet away? Or, what size of wire I need to run a circuit 60 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feew away? Thank you in advance

View more questions Search