Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Dec 21, 2005, 06:28 PM
    "Bird Holes" in eaves
    This question was a tossup for HVAC or construction. I have a new 1200 ft garage/party room addition to my house. Being frugal (cheap) I acted as my own general and subed out what I couldn't do myself. Labman's advice solved my HP/thermostat problem. Now I am ready to put up ceiling insulation (batts) prior to sheetrock. When I had the whole house re-roofed I installed
    "ridge vents" on the whole structure to vent scalding AZ heat from the attic areas. Inlet air is provided by gable end vents and 2" bird holes in the eaves. The problem being that thick fiberglass batts near the eaves will block air flow from the bird holes. I have called a couple of insulation suppliers, and they have don't have a clue. I have considerer PVC pipe, or the plastic tubes in golf bags to provide air passage past the batts. Does anyone know of a product for this purpose, or do I have to re-invent the wheel?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 21, 2005, 08:14 PM
    They make rafter vents for the application your talking about. They come in styro foam and plastic. You push these into the eaves and staple them to the sheathing in the attic. Then the insulation can be installed against these vents and air from the bird holes can still get into the attic for circulation. You can get these at Home Depot, Lowe's.. etc. They make them for 16" & 24" on center rafter bays.

Dec 22, 2005, 03:43 PM
    Rafter Vents
    Thank you for providing me with the proper term for these items. I stopped at Lowe's, and the guy at the contractor desk said they no longer carry these. The guy I spoke with at Home Depot might not have been the right one. I will try there again. I did a Google search for rafter vent, and found many sites for Owens Corning Raft-R-Mate, Durovent, and insulation baffles. This means I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks again.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 04:44 PM
    Might do better at some of the old line, contractor oriented lumber yards if any survive in your area.

Dec 22, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Old line lumer yards
    Unfortunately they have been put out of business by Lowe's and Home Depot. I wonder how much longer Ace Hardware will hang on. Progress, I guess; makes one feel like an old weasel.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 09:19 PM
    I try to take the best care of our local Ace hardware I can. As co leader of my church's building and grounds growth team, I have signifigently increased the church's spending there. Some of their stuff is actually cheaper there than the big boxes and quality much better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search