Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mortie Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Bible passages
    Hello all,
    My loving father is losing his battle against an internal, quickly-spreading melanoma complicated by a recent stroke. We've been told he has maybe 6 weeks to live.
    His Catholic faith is helping him somewhat. Dad is 85 & an 'old school' Catholic. I'd like to read him suitable passages from the Bible. He is convinced he won't go to Heaven, despite recent bedside confessions with a priest, and an Anointing of the Sick sacrament. Brief is best as Dad drops off quite a bit. Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.
    (PS: I tried to write this under the topic 'religion' but had no luck.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
    why does he not believe. According to his faith, he is in grace, he was baptised, received the sacrements and has had a recent confession, so he has no mortal sin since his last confession. That by his catholic faith will secure his salvation.

John 3:16 of course comes to mind, Mark 2: 8-10 and so many more

But again, his prior acceptance of Christ and faith have him saved, he can have his doubts now but it will not keep him out of heaven.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Psalm 71:1 IN YOU OH LORD DO I PUT MY TRUST. LET ME NEVER BE CONFUSED

Proverbs 3:5,6 TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND LEAN NOT ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING, IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL DIRECT YOUR PATHS.

Psalm 42:5 Take courage my soul! Why be downcast? Why be discouraged and sad? Hope in God. Yes, I shall yet praise him again. Yes I shall yet praise him again for his help

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.

Prayer:

Father in Heaven, please forgive me for doubting you. Help me to reach out and trust you more knowing that you know what is best for me, my family and my circumstances. I know that your eye is on the sparrow, so I know your eye is on me. I submit myself to your care and keeping, please take my hand and lead me through this tunnel of doubt into the open air of trusting and praising you – no matter what happens. I submit myself to you, I would resist this doubt, and claim peace in Jesus name. Amen.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Tell him to pour out his heart and feelings to God.

Philippians 4:6
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God

Hebrews 4:14-16
    Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

John 6:39-40
    And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 14:1-4
    Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.

John 14:27
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

1 Peter 1:3-9
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith the salvation of your souls.

1 Peter 5:6-7
    Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

2 corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Revelation 21:4
    He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 01:38 PM
    I think that you should call in a priest again to talk to him about there being no unforgivable sins... perhaps then, he will unburden himself of what is bothering him so much. That is what you hope for, that he will confess what is causing him to dislike himself... then, the rest will fall in place.

As for your role, be sure to hold his hand stroke his forehead and tell him how much you love him. I think that will help his emotions loosen up so he can unburden himself to a priest. Remember, the secrets we keep inside unshared grow magnified and distorted over the years. After he gets it out, he will relax.

If you do this, you will have done everything possible to help your father die in peace with a clear conscience. What greater gift? None...
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mortie
    Hello all,
    My loving father is losing his battle against an internal, quickly-spreading melanoma complicated by a recent stroke. We've been told he has maybe 6 weeks to live.
    His Catholic faith is helping him somewhat. Dad is 85 & an 'old school' Catholic. I'd like to read him suitable passages from the Bible. He is convinced he won't go to Heaven, despite recent bedside confessions with a priest, and an Annointing of the Sick sacrament. Brief is best as Dad drops off quite a bit. Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.
    If he is an old fashioned Catholic, then praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet or the Rosary with him might be more comforting for him.

Divine Mercy chaplet devotion

How to Pray the Rosary
    Christian at Heart Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Dec 27, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mortie
    Hello all,
    His Catholic faith is helping him somewhat. Dad is 85 & an 'old school' Catholic. I'd like to read him suitable passages from the Bible. He is convinced he won't go to Heaven, despite recent bedside confessions with a priest, and an Annointing of the Sick sacrament. Brief is best as Dad drops off quite a bit. Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.
    John 3:16-18 , Romans 8:1-2,

He is right, he will not go to heaven unless he believes in his heart by faith ,that Jesus God's only son was born to die for all of our sins on the cross, Jesus was dead for 3 days then came alive again and shortly thereafter ascended into heaven, where he is now interceding for those who come to God. The only way to God and to eternal life is through Jesus Christ. You will find this in the Bible in John 14:6
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
    To the others I'll add I John 1:9.
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 29, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Hi sorry about your problem. Tell him not to worry, and read him:
    Psalm 23, John 3:16
    Though he won't go to heaven if he doesn't accept Jesus Christ as his true and only saviour, that died for him, taking all his sins, giving him the chance to accept Him. Because the only way to God is through Jesus Christ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

What does te Bible say about. [ 7 Answers ]

What does the Bible have to say about Marijuana smoking? I would love to know if it's a sin (I assume it is) and why... if anyone could help I would appreciate it! Thanks .

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search