Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Dec 21, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Fire Taping a sheet rocked garage
    Hi,

The guy I hired to sheetrock the addition we are building did what he called fire taping the walls in the garage.

I have searched and searched to find the proper steps to fire tape a garage to no avail.

What I need to find out is if what he did was correct.

He taped the seams and applied a top coat of mud.

Same for the corner beads.

He did not coat the screw heads.

Is what he did OK?

I am planning on installing either an FRP panel or other paneling on the walls to protect the drywall from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (My wife's driving).

The garage is an attached tuck under. Our bedroom is over the new/old garage.

Part of the reason I am asking is that he seems to be not the brightest bulb in the pack.

Yesterday, he fired up his generator to power his compressor to do the knock down ceiling on the interior areas that we had him sheet rock.

However, he ran the generator in an enclosed garage. When I got home from work, my son was already there and the CO detector was going off. I got my son out of the house and opened up the windows to clear things out.

The alarm stopped beeping pretty quickly so I let my son back in the house.

After an hour, I closed the windows (Yes, I do live in in Minnesota, and yes it WAS cold) but the detector started going off again.

I called the local fire department and they told me to call 911. The fire truck came right away and they walked around with their CO detector. The readings were around 100 in the main house and over 300 in the garage.

They told us to clear out of the house after opening ALL the windows to ventilate the place. And, to get some digital read out CO detectors.

While this was going on, the sheet rock guy came back from lunch and he said that he had never had a problem with running the generator in the garage. The fireman just shook his head.

Thanks as always for your help.

Dan
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 21, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Firetaping is what he did. He sealed all joints w/ tape & mud. No finish coat needed. About the generator in the garage... as the saying goes... not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Dec 28, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Muchos Gracias,

That set my mind at ease.

I had some left over mud from doing some touchups of the work that the Drywall Idiot did. So, I went over the screw heads/holes and made it a little smoother.

Plus, with the painting/wainscotting, it will look even better.

Dan
    lichita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2011, 07:21 PM
    What he did was in fact correct, a lot of states take this as a valid fire taping process others don't they actually want the red factory provided firetape that you can find in all drywall supply stores.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 1, 2011, 08:08 PM

Six year old post lichita. Check dates of original post before responding please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Balance Sheet [ 3 Answers ]

1- The current section of a balance sheet includes which one of the following accounts? 1- Office Expenses 2- Accumulated depreciation 3- Advances from Clients 4- Mortgage Payable Thanks for your help Dell

Taping cement board joints [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know what kind of compound to use on cement board?I've checked the USG FAQ site and they recommend 'glass tape for the joints, I see no mention of compound, other than to say that joint compound is not acceptable because cb is generally used in damp areas and the joint compound won't...

Balance sheet [ 2 Answers ]

My company's balance sheet is off 34500.00 when ever I make j/e's it is still off what could be some of the issues. The 34500.00 difference is in the trucks/equipment account.

Taping Into a Washer's Standpipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, just wondering if I can install an in-floor drain that taps into the standpipe drain I already use for my first-floor washing machine. The standpipe runs directly behind, then underneath the washer (underneath the floor board)--there's room enough to work under there--I checked. I want...

View more questions Search