Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunj2606 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Unknown substance
    Hi everyone... my question is :
    Review the processes by which an unknown white crystalline substance seized by the police could be identified.

Any help is much appreciated.. thank you!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 07:05 PM
    They have a kit that they use right then and there that tells them right away...
    Watch Cops. They did the test using the trunk of the guys car for a table.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
    In normal procedure, if it is a suspected drug, it is merely tested against and with a kit to identify drugs, there are various tests depending on the type of drug they believe it is. If they are only caring if it is a drug, they will just see if it is, if it is not a drug they will not go further trying to identity.

But to find out what it is, it would be sent to a large crime lab and it would be broken down into its compounds and that would tell them what substance it is by its chemical make up
    sunj2606 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Hey thanks a lot guys!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 01:23 PM
    I don't know if you are doing course work or not, but the thing is, real police work has little comparison with the CSI shows on TV.
    First seldom do you have crime lab people in the field, many small departments don't even have crime lab people, the office on patrol or sometimes a dectitive takes all the evidence that is then mailed to the crime lab to be reviewed.

Also all of the CSI TV show tests costs 1000's and 1000's of dollars and seldom done in most cases

For my example, you are arresting someone for drugs, you just test the substance for drugs, if it is not drugs you care less what it is,
    If this was a break in, seldom will a found substance even be tested, just not enough time and almost never enough money to do tests like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glowing substance [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: hello, I was curious to know whether there is a substance that if walked upon Is able to light up briefly during and after the foot is on it, I'm researching for an art project and am sure there is something that is capable of this e.g. ;like those bracelets that glow fluorescent if...

Black substance in the sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed that my sink drain is covered with some black substance. Same thing covers the stopper. I remove the stopper, clean it; it stays clean for several day, than this substance grows up again. Any idea what is that and how to fight it? Thanks.

View more questions Search