Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leti1980 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Dec 15, 2007, 05:06 PM
    10 mtns with high temp
    Hi I asked what is classed as a high temp for and adult as I had flu symptoms and a temp of 38.3+.
    My baby is 10mths now has the same thing and has a temp of 38.3/38.5.
    I am giving her meds to try and keep it down and she has very light clothing on etc. I just wanted to know what is a high temp for a baby? I know it is high at the moment but when would I need to call the doc?
    I worry about high temps with her all the time.
    Thanks for your time. Leti
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 05:12 PM
    101.3/38.5 is not really a tremendously high temp for a youngster and can actually be healthy as it aids in acquiring immunity to children so young.

What are you using to keep the temp down?

Does she have any other symptoms?

Dec 15, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Thanks j_9 I was hoping you would reply to me. She was a bit more sleepy today and was wimpering on her nap time she is snezing. She is in bed now as it is 12am in the uk. I am giving her calprofen 2.5mg.
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Hold on hun, let me look for the UK equavilants to the US meds.
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Okay, got it... You need to alternate calprofen and Paracetamol every 3 hours. Give one, then wait 3 hours and give the other, etc...

I don't know her weight, so I can't give the recommended amount. But alternating these two is the best way to keep fever down and keep aches and pains at bay. If the fever continues for over 24 hours she needs to see her pediatrician so as to rule out infection, which would require antibiotics.

However, since you were ill recently (I hope you are feeling better), she may just have the same thing you do.

Dec 15, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Okay, got it......You need to alternate calprofen and Paracetamol every 3 hours. Give one, then wait 3 hours and give the other, etc......

I don't know her weight, so I can't give the recommended amount. But alternating these two is the best way to keep fever down and keep aches and pains at bay. If the fever continues for over 24 hours she needs to see her pediatrician so as to rule out infection, which would require antibiotics.

However, since you were ill recently (I hope you are feeling better), she may just have the same thing you do.
    OK that's great,will do that. Thanks for going to all that effort and looking it up.
    I will take her to the doctors if it is still the same Monday morning, but think she has the same as me. I am getting better now thanks. Just my partner left to get it now!

Thanks again for all your help. Leti

Dec 15, 2007, 05:34 PM
    I tried to rate you answer and it would not let me sorry.
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Don't worry about rating me hun, you know I couldn't care less. I just want that baby of yours to feel better. That's what I care about.

Please keep me posted.

Dec 15, 2007, 05:46 PM
    OK will do. Thanks. Leti
    Cristal444 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2007, 06:26 PM
    P.S. Don't worry about fevers in babies. Where as adults tend to only get a fever with a more serious infection or something bacterial, babies get fevers with almost any old virus, like the common cold. I would call your pediatrician if her fever gets above 104F/40C or higher and will not come down with cataprofen/paracetemol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

High temp [ 6 Answers ]

What is classed as a high temp in c.

Differential of return temp and cooled exit air temp [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the problem I am having, I had a new unit installed last year on my new house. I noticed that the compressor runs for a long time and shut off for a short period. This got my attention and wondered if the unit is running efficiently. I had my doubts from the start since the A coil looked...

Business For Sale in the great Smokey Mtns [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone interested in buying a business in TN? Turnkey operation includes website. Here's the website: Maryville Alcoa Christian Supply Store You can also email me privately for more details.

Oil furnace kick in and stop when water temp is high [ 2 Answers ]

Good afternoon, My house is heated with an oil furnace providing heat to a hot water baseboard system. For the last little while, I noticed the burner kicking-in for a few second when the thermostat send the signal (close the circuit) and stop with a second or two. When it does that the water...

Temp gauge showing temp, 2001 Chev Malibu [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Chev Malibu LS, V6, temp gauge is not showing any heat at all, not registering when I know the coolant is hot ? Veh has about 126000 mi on it, never been flushed out, thought I would attempt to flush myself but don't you think the problem might be a bad thermostat ? If so, where and...

View more questions Search