Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jordan2345 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Dec 15, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Suspected for theft from employer
    I work at an electronics store and a coworker was arrested after a shift for stealing 4 ps3 systems-i was with him at the time and was also arrested after I disclosed I worked at the same place-after I was brought to the police station I was released and not charged-Apparently I am now under investigation at my job(searching through video tape of crime) to see if I was involved. I played a very minor roll-but did not remove the items from the store-I'm very nervous and am curious what exactly I could be charged with, if anything, if they see me on tape helping him in anyway whatsoever.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 05:11 PM
    The tape will tell and it will be up to the store if they want to press any charges or just release you from employment or place you on probation. There are options there besides jail, let's hope your employer chooses wisely and keeps this simple. Am sure you have learned your lesson already.

Dec 15, 2007, 05:19 PM
    I'm just not sure what will constitute as "evidence" - basically what the guy did was put 2 boxes of ps3s(2 per box) into a stereo box and then carried it out to his friend's car-I helped him transfer the stereo into a different box so he could fill it with ps3s, but other than that I didn't really do anything-would you know what exactly I could be charged with? How long do police have to charge you with an offence after an arrest?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2007, 05:20 PM
    If you helped in any way that shows you were aware he was stealing you are as guilty as he is. And can be charged the same way. Unless you had a valid reason for helping him empty the box, you can be charged as an accessory.

Dec 15, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Haha so what you're saying is I better come up with a valid reason for helping him empty that box-and is there no time limit to be charged? I was arrested last night and when I went into work today to plead my case the loss prevention officer told me that I was on suspension pending investigation and that the investigation should be over by monday-would the police re-arrest me, or would I just get a summons in the mail seeings how I was already arrested?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan2345
    Haha so what you're saying is I better come up with a valid reason for helping him empty that box
    Haha, it's not funny as you and your "friend" are being charged with a crime that we consumers have to pay for with rising costs.

Valid reason my arse... You mean "excuse." You knew darn well what he was doing and you helped him. What kind of kick back did you get?

I sit here stressing over the high costs of the holiday season because of people like you and your friend.

Stand up and face the music. You knew what he was doing, and you helped him. You are as guilty as he is.

Dec 15, 2007, 05:39 PM
    I know it's not funny and I apologize-that was more of a nervous laughter-I've certainly learned my lesson and just want this whole thing to end
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 05:49 PM
    I know it's not funny and I apologize-that was more of a nervous laughter-I've certainly learned my lesson and just want this whole thing to end
    Guess you shouldn't have done it to begin with right? Hmmmm, you knew it was wrong, yet you did it anyway.

I'm sorry, people like you and your friend really hit a nerve with me this time of year. I am a struggling college student with 4 children, and the youngest is 5, who believes in Santa. What will they have under the tree this year? Not much because of people like you and your "friend."

Yes, I'm angry, yes I'm bitter. I have worked for over 25 years to get nowhere because of people like you. And you want to know how you can get out of this, LMAO. Well, time to pay the piper. Own up to it. You are just as guilty as he is.

I hope you learned your lesson.

Dec 15, 2007, 05:52 PM
    I have-and I hope you have as well-condoms are very affordable and are sometimes offered for free at clinics and colleges
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 06:29 PM
    I have-and I hope you have as well-condoms are very affordable and are sometimes offered for free at clinics and colleges
    Excuse me? What does this have to do with theft? I am a 43 year old mother of 4.

What are you smoking or snorting?

Dec 15, 2007, 06:41 PM
    "Yes, I'm angry, yes I'm bitter. I have worked for over 25 years to get nowhere because of people like you." My comment about condoms has nothing to do with theft, but instead of blamming people, albeit petty criminals, for all of your life's problems you should, "pay the piper. Own up to it." If you don't have the financial means to care for your family you should either learn to use condoms or abstain from sex... instead of placing blame on a disgruntled employee, who made a huge mistake, for all of your problems you should look in the mirror and stop placing blame on people who come on this site to seek help... your advice on the matter is very much appreciated, but your verbal attacks are not.
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 06:52 PM
    "Yes, I'm angry, yes I'm bitter. I have worked for over 25 years to get nowhere because of people like you." My comment about condoms has nothing to do with theft, but instead of blamming people, albeit petty criminals, for all of your life's problems you should, "pay the piper. Own up to it." If you don't have the financial means to care for your family you should either learn to use condoms or abstain from sex ... instead of placing blame on a disgruntled employee, who made a huge mistake, for all of your problems you should look in the mirror and stop placing blame on people who come on this site to seek help ... your advice on the matter is very much appreciated, but your verbal attacks are not.
    Excuse me... but I have worked for many years, and, yes, I can afford my children... but it is people like you who drive prices higher and higher every year. It is people like you who add to the inflation rates.
    If you don't have the financial means to care for your family you should either learn to use condoms or abstain from sex
    I have always had the financial means to care for my family, however, it is people like you that raise the inflation rates so that the working class cannot afford a good Christmas for their children. It is obvious you don't have children.

instead of placing blame on a disgruntled employee
    Yup, I'm placing the blame on you, along with anyone who steals from merchants, anyone who commits theft of any kind.

Jordan, it's time to fess up to your theft and your responsibility in the theft of your "friend." Suffer the consequences.

There are consequences to our actions, we must suffer the consequences to YOUR actions.

Prices are raised yearly, not only because of inflation, but because of the merchants theft rate. You contributed to that. Not I, or the average honest consumer, but you and your "friend."
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 07:11 PM
    a disgruntled employee
    You don't get it, do you.

I'm with J_9 on this one. Costs have definitely gone up--substantially!--because of theft not only by a few customers but also, unfortunately, by employees who are entrusted with a company's inventory.

I read this thread with great interest. Your attitude stinks. You want to us to help you justify "helping" your coworker steal four expensive and hard-to-find game systems. Then you change the subject and try to shift blame onto someone else. I read no remorse in your postings. You aided and abetted your coworker. You are as guilty as he is. I hope they throw the book at you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Even the minor role will and can get you arrested and changed as part of the entire theft. Same charges as your friend. And most likely your fiend may even agree to testify against you as part of a lower sentence, happens every day.

And to correct a wording, you were not arrested, you were detained and held at the first time. They did not arrest, if they did, you would have had to appear before the judge. Most people confuse being detained and questioned as being arrested, it is not.

But yes of course the police will come get you and take you to jail and you will have to post bail if they decide to charge you. Also if they have proof of you helping in the changing of boxes, that should be enough to make you a part of the entire crime.
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    You don't get it, do you.

I'm with J_9 on this one. Costs have definitely gone up--substantially!--because of theft not only by a few customers but also, unfortunately, by employees who are entrusted with a company's inventory.

I read this thread with great interest. Your attitude stinks. You want to us to help you justify "helping" your coworker steal four expensive and hard-to-find game systems. Then you change the subject and try to shift blame onto someone else. I read no remorse in your postings. You aided and abetted your coworker. You are as guilty as he is. I hope they throw the book at you.
    THANK YOU!!

People like this make me sick. I just spent all day shopping for Christmas for my children. They could have a much better Christmas were it not for people like this.

Doncha just love how they shift the blame from themselves to those of us who are trying to make an honorable living?
    Mathandler1 Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2007, 07:31 PM
    I am not an attorney by no means, but It all depends in how your workplace precieves what they see on the tape. Now, if you really did not do anything at all then you should not be nervous at all in what they see on the tape. Now, on the other hand, if you knew anything about it or help the co-worker in anyway, then you would be found guilty of "accessory to the theft". And it also depends on the attitudes of your workplace, prosecuting attorney, judge, and of course what this other co-worker had to say to the police and prosecuting attorny. Just make sure you come clean and be honest... honesty is the best policy mostly if what you say is differently then what shows on the tape. For me, I think that if you knew what was going on and you did nothing to stop it then you are as guilty as your co-worker in the theft, which I dod not have no sorrows for because people like you and your co-worker is what makes the prices of such things go up for the rest of use Honset people in the world. And don't think it doesn't, compies like your workplace keep track of inventory big time and the only way they can recoup the losses is to raise the prices on the same item(s) or on other items. Good Luck!
    hewey1969 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 12:02 AM
    My experience tells me that if you only helped in the exact way you claimed, then you may not face criminal charges. It depends on what state you live in as to whether the charges would be felony or misdemeanor, whether the DA will pursue the case against you, etc. It also depends on your company's policy as to what their prosecution thresholds are.
    I wouldn't be able to promise anything, but more than likely, they won't prosecute you. BUT, since you did have a part in the theft, AND, you didn't report the theft by your co-worker, you will probably lose your job. They can't trust you, and for good reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft from Employer [ 2 Answers ]

I need help... Im a single mom, who did something terribly stupid... :( over the last year, I worked for a store in Manitoba, Canada... I needed money really bad and I wasn't getting enough hours at work and I ended up stealing money from my employer... as the year went by.. I tried to stop...

Theft and possession under five thousand from employer [ 5 Answers ]

Age: 19 Ontario Durham Region I stole fifty dollars worth of headlights from my work and about a week later they took me to a room and started asking me questions they told me I was seen on camera but didn't show me it they wanted me to plead guilty to it and make a statement I told them stuff...

Theft From employer [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently received a letter form my past employer who is seeking just over $20 000 for funds that he is claiming I stole. I live in Ontario Canada and am 18 years old. Money was taken on my part but it was around the $5000 mark, either just under or just over. In the letter he is giving me 15...

Theft employer in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got charged with stealing 5 iPod nano's(each aprrox.worth $224 no tax included) from my employer Walmart Canada. My friend was arrested 2 days before me because the cops claim they have us on camera stealing. He was sent home after interrogation and received two court dates one for...

View more questions Search