Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornell01 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Water leaking from furnace
    I have a York Affinity furnace with a Honeywell humidifier. It is three years old and this season I have noticed that there is watwer leaking down from the top and leaking in the midle and pooling at the bottom. I had reduced the air flow on the by pass and reduced the water flow by adjusting the valve. It ran fine until the weather got cold and it is now leaking again. I have shut the water valve and the humidity controls at the wall humidistats and on the vents. It is still leaking. I am afraid that I am damaging the heat exchangers. There are no York dealers within 40 miles. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Clear the drain line on the humidfier. You probably need a new pad also. They are supposed to be replaced every year.

Dec 16, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell01
    I have a York Affinity furnace with a Honeywell humidifier. It is three years old and this season I have noticed that there is watwer leaking down from the top and leaking in the midle and pooling at the bottom. I had reduced the air flow on the by pass and reduced the water flow by adjusting the valve. It ran fine until the weather got cold and it is now leaking again. I have shut the water valve and the humidity controls at the wall humidistats and on the vents. It is still leaking. I am afraid that I am damaging the heat exchangers. There are no York dealers within 40 miles. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    The pad is brand new and the lines are all working. I turned off the humidifier and closed the valve for the water supply. The leaking has stopped ands there is no more water pooling at the bottom. I will open the valve la bit and keep the by pass damper on the summer setting. I think too much air is passing over the pad and pushing water into the box rather than working as a humidifier. I have two furnaces and they are similarly equipped except the leaking one is a bigger unit. Thanks for your suggestion. I will report back later this week on whether the unit is leaking again. I am hoping that the reduced water flow and less pressure makes the leaking stop and results in some humidity in the air.

Dec 21, 2007, 04:07 PM
    After a week of no leaks with the entire humifier system turned off. I heard a binding noise from the blower fan when thye second stage would come on. Previously I would back off the screws a turn or so and the noise would disappear. This time the noise did go away but the leak returned. What is causing the leak? There is no water entering the sysytem. Help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 05:10 PM
    If this is a high efficiency gas furnace it could be a plugged condensate drain or a cracked secondary heat exchanger.

((Previously I would back off the screws a turn ))

What screws are you backing off?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 05:53 PM
    On a 90% furnace it will create condensation while its running. In the vent pipe and secondary heat exchanger. Check around the vent pipe and inducer motor for water.(common place for a leak) Check the rubber tubes on the collector box and condensate trap.

Dec 21, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    If this is a high efficiency gas furnace it could be a plugged condensate drain or a cracked secondary heat exchanger.

((Previously I would back off the screws a turn ))

What screws are you backing off??
    I am backing off the black motor that has hoses connected to the vent pipe. What would be the symptoms of a cracked heat exchanger. The nopise I mentionesd lasts about 30 seconds and the heat comes on at a higher speed.

Dec 21, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top
    On a 90% furnace it will create condensation while its running. In the vent pipe and secondary heat exchanger. Check around the vent pipe and inducer motor for water.(common place for a leak) Check the rubber tubes on the collector box and condensate trap.
    Thank you, I will do that.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 06:17 PM
    The black motor is your inducer motor if your backing out screws on it that's your water leak.

Dec 21, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top
    The black motor is your inducer motor if your backing out screws on it thats your water leak.
    It is clear to me now that all the problems are user error. I checked the noise on my second unit and it is the same as the unit that was leaking. It is normal operating sounds. The motor on the second unit is tight at all the screws. By loosening the screws I was breaking the seal and the water was leaking. I have two problems now. First I hope I have not caused any damage and second I now have to explain to my wife what happened. Thank you for your assistance and thanks to everyone that offered help. I wish you all a good holiday and a great new year.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 07:04 PM
    You did not damage the unit at all. Screw it back down tight it should reseal fine. The noise your hearing I'm not sure about. It should not be making a real loud or vibration noise.
    Ibatar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
    Hi cornell01... I am actually interested in an other post where gave an answer about white specks in a dogs eyes. I do not know how else to reach you except via this way. If you are still out there and am willing to contact me be do so [email protected]. My vet too says my dog has something (probably cataracts) on her eyes. My puppy shows no signs of eye site problems and can follow a red lazar dot with ease! The breeder who is very well known, says she has never encountered a problem and for me to get a second option...

Barbara

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaking from bottom of furnace [ 4 Answers ]

Just noticed today that water is coming out of bottom of furnace. Not much but wondered if anyone knows what it could be. Its an older furnace, just regular kind. Water heater is about 1 foot behind the furnace. I've had the a/c running a lot because of hot weather. Could it have anything to...

Water leaking from furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Our AC has been running constantly for the past 3 weeks (it is very hot and humid here), a couple of days ago water started coming out of the bottom of the furnace (it is a Lennox Whisper Heat), enough to have to change the towels every few hours. What could be the problem?

Furnace water leaking from bottom [ 1 Answers ]

My mom called and thought her hot water heater was broken as there was water all over her basement carpet. A friend went there to help her clean up, and said the water is coming from the bottom of the furnace. It is a natural gas furnace, and the furnace is still working. What is the problem and...

Furnace leaking water? [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace in the basement is leaking water. There is a white pipe going into the furnace that is where the water is leaking and running into the furnace. I was told a pipe could be cloged up. Is this true and if so is it something I can fix myself? Thanks

Gas furnace leaking water [ 3 Answers ]

Discovered water pooling out on to floor and dripping from within furnace--seemingly coming from furnace vent... there is quite a bit of rust that has formed which leads me to think its been going on for a while within the furnace but was not noticed till now after heavy rains, and the pooling...

View more questions Search