Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0scar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Female beagle with itchy bum worm tab given a month ago
    Help

Female beagle given worm tab a month ago due next one in Feb 2008. Now dragging bum on floor and on the carpet any suggestions :confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
    My walker hound does this too, many dogs do. A small poodle type dog we used to have had to have the glands cleaned out in her rump from time to time, the vet had to express the material out of them. I don't think it is from an itch, but some kind of irritation from these full glands, and I can't tell you the name of them.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Most likely she needs her anal glands emptied. You can have the vet do it, or many groomers will do it.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Oscar, the above two posters are right. If your dog is sitting straight up and using her front paws to drag her bottom across the floor and carpet, she needs an anal gland expression. The anal glands are two little pea sized sacs right inside the anus. Usually when a dog poops, the excrement will press against the sacs and empty them. Sometimes, either after a about with diarrhea or just after a period, the stools just don't empty them and they fill up with fluid. It is very uncomfortable for a dog, so they drag their bums along the floor trying to get rid of the discomfort. If you go to a groomer or the vet, they can empty the sacs in a minute. It doesn't cost much and will bring your dog relief. If you let this go too long, the anal glands can become impacted and/or infected and depending what has to be done, it will cost you more. The best way to tell if the anal glands need to be expressed is, after your dog drags her bum across the floor, if you can stomach it, lift her tail and sniff. Believe me, you don't have to get too close. The odor is absolutely horrible. By the way, no matter what anyone may say that posts later, don't try and do this yourself. If you don't know what you are doing, you can hurt your dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

Suckling 6 Month old Female! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi am new here my name is Marlene. I have a 6 month old cat that is suckling on its own arm usually in the morning just before we leave to go to work and school. This has been happening since we got her. We also have her sister and she does not do it. She will meow then she will put her two...

Something Is Wrong With My 5 Month Old, Female Shih Tzu Dog! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,Ok My 5 Months Old ShihTzu Dog Has Been Jerking and When She Starts Barking She Starts Barking and It Kind of Freaks Me and My Family Out But It Kind of Scares Me,Because Out Of Nowhere She Will Start doing This. Please If You KNow IF This Is A Trait Of All Shih Tzus Or If Something Is Wrong...

5 month beagle will not eat [ 8 Answers ]

Hi , my 5 month old beagle decided to stop eating her dry food. We were feeding her pedigree puppy food but decided to change to something else, in hopes that she would like it better. We also heard that pedigree is not that good so we started her on IAMS puppy food but she does not like it either....

Beagle Itchy Back [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Male Beagle. He has allergies. He had anal gland removal surgery about a year ago. He is still scratching his backside. He rubs it up against chairs and moans. This was one of the reasons we had the surgery, he would always do this. The doctor says that the anal sacs are...

View more questions Search