Dec 15, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Simultaneous Linear Equations in two variables
    Can someone show me step-by-step how I solve this equation please

x+2/5 - 9-x/3 = y-6/4 - 1st Equation

x+2- 2x+y/8 = x+13/4 - 2nd Equation

Thanks
    cool_dude Posts: 124, Reputation: 9

Dec 15, 2007, 05:38 PM
    sorry can't do step-by-step because firstly we can't and won't do your homework and secondly you didn't even put any attempt into it.

But I can start you off. First simply the 2 equations by combining the like terms and simplifying. Get rid of the fractions too because its simpler that way by just multiplying each term by the denominator of the fraction. Once you get the 2 equations simplified use substitution to solve for x and y. if you can't do that then at least post the 2 equations simplified with no fractions and I will help u further
    Calculator Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 02:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_dude
    sorry can't do step-by-step because firstly we can't and won't do your homework and secondly you didn't even put any attempt into it.

But i can start you off. First simply the 2 equations by combining the like terms and simplifying. get rid of the fractions too because its simpler that way by just multiplying each term by the denominator of the fraction. once you get the 2 equations simplified use substitution to solve for x and y. if you can't do that then at least post the 2 equations simplified with no fractions and i will help u further
    It is my first time on the site and I omitted to inform you that I have been trying to solve the equation on paper for several hours.

I think there is a fundamental error in my simplification and need guidance. I simplify the equations:

1. -8x -15y=66
    2. 16x +4y=40

I appreciate your guidance and help. Thanks.
    cool_dude Posts: 124, Reputation: 9

Dec 16, 2007, 11:03 AM
    You simplified your first equation wrong its supposed to be
    20x - 30y = 213

as for your second equation the simplification should be
    -16x + y = 10
    Calculator Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_dude
    You simplified your first equation wrong its supposed to be
    20x - 30y = 213

as for your second equation the simplification should be
    -16x + y = 10
    Hi! I just wanted to say that I have finally worked out the equation. My simplification was incorrect.

The final equation is:
    32x-15y=66
    16x - 4y=40

x= 3 and y=2.

Thank you for your input, you gave me the conviction to carry on it is really appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Simultaneous Linear Equations in 2 Variables [ 7 Answers ]

y=3x-1 5x-y=5 how do I do this the easy way?:confused:

Linear equalities in two variables [ 2 Answers ]

5x>-20

Simultaneous Equations [ 6 Answers ]

QUESTION ONE: x+3y=4 2x-y=1 x=? y=? QUESTION TWO: On one day, 4 plumbers and 5 helpers earned $182. Working the same number of hours and at the same rate of pay, 5 plumbers and 6 helpers earned $224. How much does a plumber and how much does a helper earn each day? 4p+5h=182 5p+6h=224

Linear Equations in two and three variables [ 1 Answers ]

I am supposed to write a word problem from day to day life that can be translated into a linear equation in two and another problem that can be translated into a linear equation in three variables.

Simultaneous Linear Equations in Two Variables [ 1 Answers ]

Help I don't understand how to do them.

View more questions Search