Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    51pr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Furnace Thermostat Near Heat Duct
    I live in an older home (1928). The furnace thermostat is mounted to a wall which also carries a heat duct to the second floor. The wall surface is warm during the heating season and I think this radiant heat is affecting the thermostat. Is there a way to shield the stat to minimize the heat affect of the duct work?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Remove stat. Space thermostat off the wall with small blocks of wood. Allow air to circulate from bottom to top. In other words just put the wood spacers on the left and right side under the thermostat. This will room temp air to circulate behind stat. Where wires come through wall use putty and block off the hole to prevent heat migration from the hole to the thermostat.

This always works.
    51pr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Thanks hvac1000. Good suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New thermostat, Furnace ignites fire but no heat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My furnace and thermostat was working fine until two weeks ago. So I replaced the thermostat and the heat started working for the first day then it stopped. I tried to turn up the degrees on the thermostat and I checked the furnace. The electric ignitor was working fine and there was fire...

Controlling a duct fan with thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

I need to control an in-line duct fan with a thermostat. Since the thermostat I have (a basic Honeywell non-programmable heat/cool) requires 24v and the duct fan runs on 110v I'm assuming I will need some type of relay that provides 24v for the thermostat and 110v for the fan. Hopefully, there...

Honeywell Thermostat Furnace heat not on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We installed a new Honeywell Deluxe 5-2 Programmable Thermostat (RTH6300B) last week. We have a Carrier Furnace that is 15 years old, I believe. We've noticed that the temperature of our house doesn't seem to be reaching the temperature it's set for but have been so busy and out so much...

What is needed to run air duct from furnace? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I need to run a new air duct from my furnace (forced air, 90%) system to a bathroom. There was an existing pipe going to the bathroom, but I had to cut the pipe in order to expand the bathroom. Now I am ready to re-run the duct to the new bathroom and I have two questions. Oh, the...

Honeywell thermostat heat/cool in Rheem 2 stage furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell 1 Heat/1Cool thermostat (TH6110D1013) that I would like to use with a Rheem 2 stage gas heat furnace. I think it is possible but would I get the same benefits as having a thermostat with 2 heat/1 cool? Would I just connect the W terminal on the Thermostat to the W2 on the...

View more questions Search