Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Dec 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Interesting IUD
    Okay so here I am sitting at the comp trying not to get sick as my stomach is rolling... I have been doing some research on my merina IUD recently and what I've found makes me seriously worry about my birth control choice. Now my worry may be for nothing. Anyway, let me start at the beginning. I have one sexual partner which is my hubby. We had just had the twins and I was the "perfect candidate" for the iud. Well a little over a year has passed and now I'm waiting on a blood test to eliminate the possibility of pregnancy. I'll find out Monday afternoon whether I'm pregnant or not. Now I do have to say that I have a uti and I'm currently taking med for that and that that may possibly be causing my "symptoms".

Many women are told that the chances of getting pregnant with an iud are slim to none. It has a 99.9% effective rate. I personally love my iud but like any form of birth control it is not perfect and that slim to none might just only be slim. I don't think that the company that produces it is being as honest with us as consumers or with the dr's that it will backlash on. If your curious about some of the things that I've read I'm including the links here so that you may form your own opinion. To me this looks like a lot more than .1% of the consumers getting pregnant. I don't believe, and neither should you, that this is all or even half of the women that have gotten pregnant whilst on this because. This is just a handful of us that have tried by the best non-permanent means to avoid pregnancy and I don't think that it even includes those that have suffered from ectopic pregnancies or women that didn't know that they were pregnant and spontaneously aborted.

This form of birth control does not prevent you from conceiving. It prevents the implantation of the conception. Meaning that you get pregnant and the womb is too hostile of a climate for the egg to mature into a embryo or fetus. That egg does have the opportunity to "stick around" though. So I guess what I'm saying is look around at real people that have taken any form of the because that you are considering and not what the money grubbing corporate world tells you in their, little oh so helpful :rolleyes: consumer packets. You might find you have avoided a bad situation if you do.

Here are those links.
    IUD Malfuction - pregnancy-info.net - N01

IUD Pregnancy - pregnancy-info.net - N01

I can only hope that on Monday my blood test will come out negative. I will keep you all posted as to what the results are.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Oh my gosh! I'm hoping it is negative for you!

Thank you so much for the information, because I have the Mirena as well! This info is kind of scary, I had no idea that it didn't prevent you from conceiving (my doctor told me it did). The fact that I could have conceived a ton of times already since I've had it is scary. :eek:

Dec 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
    I don't know if the dr's even know 100% of the time whether the info they get is the right info or not. I have decided to go to a nurse practitioner because of their continued schooling and all that continuing education that they have to go through.

I hope it's a big negative too, but honestly I'm not holding my breath. If I do turn up positive then I will have the thing removed and try to carry to term. My hubby has decided to have a vasectomy to prevent this in the future. I will have my tubes tied in the future. I think after this I'm done with having children...
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Well good luck, I'm sorry you have to wait and wonder. That has to be so nervewracking. I was told the IUD was just about the greatest thing in the world. I was told my period would go away, which hasn't happened, and my chances of getting pregnant were virtually non existent.

I know I already said it, but GOOD LUCK!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Let us not forget that there is no birth control that is 100% effective.

Nurse Practitioners are not much more educated than doctors. They all need CEU (Continuing Education Units).

The ones who know the most about the meds are indeed the pharmacists.

Myth, as I said on the phone... I hope it's negative too.

Dec 14, 2007, 06:09 PM
    I can hope all I want, but my gut says different... lol... Well everything happens for a reason. The strange thing was my last period... I think I forgot to tell you this J. I only bled when I went to the restroom and then the "blood" was just like colored snot. By the time it was over it hadn't been but three to four days. I had no need of a pad or tampon or anything like that. *sigh*. I am fairly certain that I'm going to trust my gut on this one... good thing I never stopped taking my prenatals... lol... They are the best multi out there so I stuck with them. Except this week with my antibiotics.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 14, 2007, 06:59 PM
    I don't mean to change the subject or anything... I'm just confused a bit. Could one of you explain what is an IUD... I've herd of them latley, but I honestly don't know what it is. It would be quite helpful, because I've been wondering latley...
    Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Intrauterine Device. It is a form of birth control that is inserted into the uterine to make the uterus a hostile environment for implantation.

They have been around for decades!
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 14, 2007, 07:04 PM
    You... I must live under a rock lol!

Dec 14, 2007, 11:12 PM
    There had been an older one that got a really bad reputation but a lot has changed since then and now it is as safe as any other form of birth control. Like I said I love mine but there is a chance that I'm one of the few that has gotten pregnant... well maybe the not so few... But I would still recommend it over the depo shot any day.
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Dec 15, 2007, 07:45 AM
    OK well you guys know I'm going to put my sense in, as I am currently 32 weeks pregnant, I DID get pregnant with the IUD in I had my normal check ups and was loving it for a little over a year when I became pregnant.
    This will be my last as I am getting my tubes tied and not trusting the birth control methods anymore.
    Good luck to you Myth I remember being their the feelings were over whelming.
    In fact I posted a message about it and you and J9 helped a lot with my feelings.

Dec 16, 2007, 08:32 PM
    I remember that. I thought about you when I was posting this... I think the IUD moved due to weight loss and that seems to be a big contributing factor in all of this.

Edit

I am just on pins and needles waiting for that call tomorrow... I'll let everone know what happens.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Keep me posted, even if you have to send me a text. Remember, I'll be Christmas shopping tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Dec 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Let us know your in my thoughts, and good luck
    Also just remember everything happens for a reason...

Dec 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
    I'm so irritated... it's two and they haven't called me yet!! I know their busy and all but come on now they told me to call after noon if I hadn't heard from them... I'm going crazy here! Why can't they just call and tell me yes or no. Why do I have to wait and bite my nails to the quick and be stressed and tired... WHY!! Ok, I think I'm done with my meltdown now. Thanks for listening. I'm going to call and see if I can get some answers.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 01:23 PM
    I caught onto this line a bit late... did you get any answers yet? Good luck! (oh, and by the way girls, just remember that even vasectomy's and tube tieing aren't 100% error proof. ;0) let us know asap myth!! Got my fingers crossed for you!

Dec 17, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Negative!! I had to call and pry the answer out of them, just goes to show that if your annoying enough they'll tell you just to get you off their back... by the way I'm doing a very happy dance. Blood tests aren't wrong... right?
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Well,qualatative blood tests can be wrong yes. But its more rare then it is to get a false negative hpt. The reasons being that the blood tests are more accurate and sensitive then hpts, however they still only give a negative or positive reading. SO, if your hcg levels aren't high enough to register still, it will give you a negative reading, even if you are pregnant. If you were to get a quantative blood test(which they usually don't do until you are several months late or other circumstances that may cause worry... mainly because they are more expensive, more detailed, and most insurances don't cover it) this test is the most accurate test you can take. It measures the exact amount of hcg in your system, and if the level is high enough to cause reason to believe you might be pregnant, they will repeat the test within the next few days to see if the levels are doubling as they should be in a normal pregnancy. They might also pair this test with an ultrasound, should the levels cause reason to believe pregnancy is a possibility.

Dec 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
    K... So why do I still feel like I'm pregnant when all tests point to negative... this is so confusing... sporadic nausea, sore breasts, emotional roller coaster. I know all these signs I've been here before but all the tests come back negative... this is oh so wonderful. I'm not on anymore antibiotics or I would say it's from the kidney/bladder infection. Guess I'm going to wait till my next period and see what happens.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:07 PM
    You very well could be pregnant. I've known women that don't show until they are even 6 months pregnant, hpt or blood test. Some women never show up at all. Sore breasts and moodiness could be a side effects from the merina too however. When do you expect your next period?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interesting analogy [ 10 Answers ]

Iodized salt is to lemur as pumpkin is to...

Interesting Situation [ 2 Answers ]

I have an interesting situation I'd like to get some help about. So my girlfriend and I were talking last night, and I suddenly had a weird feeling, for some reason I felt like there was something she wasn't telling me. I asked her about it and she denied having any information she was withholding...

Interesting scenerio [ 3 Answers ]

I returned some merchandise without a receipt, I was refunded an amount larger than I paid. I didn't fight the amount, who would? I then sold the gift card on eBay and it was stolen at the post office and partially used before the store blocked it. I turned the info over to the USPS Investigators...

Interesting observations from others. [ 43 Answers ]

My wife went to this program for new mothers. They have a nurse, dentist, teacher and other programs that they talk about different things. Well the nurse tried to tell my wife it is too early for our boy to say mama. He has being saying mama for the last couple of weeks now. He is a little...

New Here, Have Some Interesting Question? [ 3 Answers ]

Well, hey guyz. I am 18 years old male, live in New Jersey and have some question for you guys. Well, guyz I am half south asian and half european. My original skin complexion is somewhat fair to light. Until last summer, my complexion was great until I hit ACNE!! Since, obviously I wanted to get...

View more questions Search