Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tarapaige Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Truck using more gas than usual
    My boyfriend's truck has started using a lot more gas than normal. Could it be caused by the weather becoming colder? Or are there any other things that could be causing this? There's nothing going wrong with the truck and nothing that has recently gone wrong with it. Other than needing a new serpentine belt. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    jahnplay Posts: 83, Reputation: -1

Dec 14, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Check tire pressure
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Colder temps mean the engine is in enrichment longer. (like the old days of a choke)
    Engines burn less efficiant until they are fully warmed up.
    Winter blends of fuel now at the pumps are good for cold weather, but suck for gas milage.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 05:03 PM
    I once had a brake caliper sticking and it cost me about 5 miles to the gallon for a few tanks until I found it. Good luck
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Tips to Improve Gas Mileage

1. Check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
    2. Replace oxygen sensor. A bad oxygen sensor can radically affect gas mileage, since it controls fuel injector duration.
    3. Go over the whole ignition system. Replace, for example, spark plugs (with exact brand and plug number that came in the vehicle), spark plug wires, rotor, and distributor cap. Replace platinum plugs at half the recommended mileage.
    4. Replace air filter and fuel filter.
    5. Check idle rpm and engine timing.
    6. Check MAF sensor, if so equipped.
    7. Check tire pressure.
    8. Add Shell Regane or Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner to gas tank every 6 months. This will clean fuel injectors, throttle body, valves, and combustion chamber.
    9. Use full synthetic lubricants; e.g. engine oil, manual synchromesh transmission fluid, automatic transmission fluid, and differential fluid. This should increase gas mileage by 8 to 10%.
    10. Check for dragging brakes, including emergency brake.
    11. Check alignment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just dumb as usual. [ 1 Answers ]

Why did Tigger stick his head in the toilet? He was looking for Pooh! Why do mice have small balls? Not that many know how to dance. :rolleyes:

Not the usual heartache... [ 23 Answers ]

Ok, I'm new to this site so not sure how this will turn out, but here goes... My boyfriend of nearly 3 years who I loved with all my heart has kicked me out and ended it. Big deal hey? Well, yes! We'd talked about marriage, kids, the whole lot. I was with him since I was 17. I gave up my job,...

View more questions Search