Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rendezvous Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Do I need to pay Tax on my Childcare Income?
    I am providing part-time childcare for a friend's child. My friend is able to be reimbursed for her childcare expenses by the company she works for if she gives them my name, social security number and weekly receipts for the childcare expenses. If I give her company the information they are requesting so she can be reimbursed, will I then need to declare my childcare income and pay taxes on it? If so, will I need to be paying taxes as a business or just as it were extra income - I'm wondering if this would really reduce the amount of money I will be earning, as I am not hardly charging her in the first place.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Even if you don't give your name and ss to the company, you must still declare this income. This is self employment income. You must file tax return if yourself employment income is $400 or more.
    You can deduct your business related expenses from the income. On the net income (income minus expenses) you will be paying SE tax at 15.3%. Then you will have federal income tax and state income tax depending upon your total income.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Dec 15, 2007, 07:45 AM
    There are many, many deductions that you may use to reduce your taxable income. The biggest one is the percentage usage of your home as a day care. I would recommend going to a qualified tax preparer for your first year of filing a tax return as a day care provider. Make sure that they have experience with preparing a day care provider schedule C as there are a lot of deductions that an inexperienced preparer may overlook.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 07:49 AM
    I believe it all depends on how much you actually earn. If it's more than $400 then legally you have to declare it. If this particular child is the only one you provide daycare services for then you should be able to declare it as just extra income and not as a "business."
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Form 1040 has line 21 is for "Other income". The instructions of line 21 clearly state that you can't put self employment income on this line. And even if you don't have any business expenses, still use schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040).
    There is no way you can avoid paying SE taxes on this income. You income is self employment (business income).
    This income is treated as Earned Income so you will get Earned Income Credit if your income is below a certain level and you are over 25. And if you have a qualifying child, you can even get Child Tax Credit/Additional Child Tax Credit, which can result in getting more than what you will actually pay.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 10:57 AM
    All the advice given above is valid, with one exception.

The AGE 25 rules applies only if you are single and have NO children of your own.

If you have one or more children, you qualify for the Earned Income Credit regardless of you age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Childcare Income and Deductions [ 1 Answers ]

We are babysitting for our new Grandson. Our son pays us each week. 1 questions please. 1. Will our son and wife be able to claim the payments at tax time. If they can, I know we will have to report this as income. What I am not sure of is, if taxpayers can claim childcare if it is just...

Homebase childcare business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, am I about to start a home base child care program, my q. is if this certificate will qualify me to open a day care center or do I need t study early childhood education, I mean what do I need to have to be qualified to open child care business, is it fruitful business?

Paying for private childcare [ 2 Answers ]

I can't seem to find a daycare worth a flip and want to know what you pay for a babysitter/nanny in your home for one 3 year old full time?

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Income was from tutorials and childcare [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, thanks for the answer to my previous post. But I do have some other matters that I need clarification from, which I believe I failed to make clear. 1) I earned 4500 for childcare, but tutorials for the same children. I worked for two families, and probably earned 3500 from one family. I did...

View more questions Search